Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by davidg666
Hi Des,
CTCNetwork wrote:In the Uk some people are (still) waiting for that promised County field. With that then implemented those cities that have various notable suburbs can have a county location created for it. This should then allow the city to show when zoomed out and the city centre and suburbs show when zoomed in.
I'm not holding my breath, although this would certainly come in very handy! I somehow doubt - when a city name is the same as the name of the county it's in - that it would be shown in the middle of such a city. We may be lucky though!

It would certainly be nice to be able to designate an area (or a set of suburbs) as all belonging to a greater city. More wishful thinking...
CTCNetwork wrote:Dublin: is it worth considering naming the suburbs adding (Dublin) for non unique areas and defining the centre of the city as "Dublin"?
You could also name all main "Minor" roads in Dublin as "Dublin" and ignore the suburb for these main roads. That will leave your suburbs named correctly and the city creep will cover the whole area as Dublin.. ?
I certainly wouldn't like to add " (Dublin)" to suburb names in Dublin - I think the map would look very cluttered with lots of "XXX (Dublin)" floating around the place. So far we've managed not to have any non-unique suburbs in Dublin - probably because they all got named before other places with the same name elsewhere (there's a Blackrock in Dublin, and also one in Cork and (I think) one in Louth too).

The very centre of the city is already named "Dublin 1" (north of the river) and "Dublin 2" (south of the river. There are also a couple of road segments just named "Dublin" on O'Connell Street, so that somebody trying to navigate to "Dublin" will be taken to the exact centre (more or less). The "1" and "2" (which are postal district numbers) will become obsolete whenever we get postcodes (something that has been coming for years, so no holding of breaths there either!) so possibly we could merge both of them into "Dublin". Some people like to add postal district numbers (instead of suburb names) to other parts of the city. I'm not really in favour of this myself, but there's a variety of opinions.

Dublin's a lot smaller than London, and has a fairly small well-defined centre, so it's probably reasonable for people to want to navigate to it. We'd certainly like it to appear on the map properly (which, I guess, is what we're talking about here).

Renaming all the minor R- roads would be quite a big job - do you think naming the M50 would be enough to create a city called "Dublin" that shows up on maps?

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
CTCNetwork wrote:It would be worth a test to see if it would work. Does the M50 correctly (and completely) encompass Dublin? Are there other roads that you'd need to name to completely circle the city?

I must admit that I am not happy with the results we have in Nottingham. Whilst the area is mapped pretty much correctly (bar some over-entheusiastic editors work!) the end result means the city is "lost" when zoomed out!
Did you try something similar in Nottingham?

Anyway, yes: I'm tempted to try using the M50 for a test. It doesn't completely encircle Dublin; as your screenshot from Bing shows (aside from the fact that Bing is more than two years out of date: most N-roads no longer go inside the M50...) the M50 is C-shaped, so we'd end up with a "city" shaped like a back-to-front 'D'.

I'll update the M50 segments shortly for the experiment; should be easy to undo if we decide it's pointless. Let's see how it looks after the next tile update...

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
arthurohara wrote:Don't think M50 idea would work. Would throw up non-intended issues.
Well are you OK with trying it out? We can undo it as quickly as we can do it if it doesn't work or causes mayhem. I'm in the middle of making the change (haven't hit save yet).

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
arthurohara wrote:It should prove interesting and indeed maybe give us all a Eureka outcome. While you're at it David I think parts of the M50 need widening again. Lol.
OK - it's done now. Took less than five minutes, so it'll be pretty easy to reverse if the experiment doesn't work. I'm especially interested to hear how Waze reports traffic incidents...

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
davidg666 wrote:OK - it's done now. Took less than five minutes, so it'll be pretty easy to reverse if the experiment doesn't work. I'm especially interested to hear how Waze reports traffic incidents...
Alright, I've created a new thread here mentioning the change and asking any editors in the Dublin area to report any negative consequences of this change. We won't know anything until the next tile update that includes changes after about 6pm yesterday (1700 UTC ).

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message