[New Page] WME Chat

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page Needed] WME Chat

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:53 pm

PesachZ wrote:Just found this older thread. Maybe these threads should be merged.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2

LOL. I thought we started talking about it and I forgot to search for Chat in this forum. :oops:

I agree this thread should be merged with the other one. I think Vectorspace and others had a lot more data already defined. I will clip this thread onto the end of that one since it is time relative at least.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Wed May 28, 2014 1:06 pm

Just found this older thread. Maybe these threads should be merged.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Wed May 28, 2014 11:04 am

fuchserl wrote:Most of the time the reason will be several WME instances, of course.

I don't know how the chat rooms are organized in the US (is there one room per state or just one for the whole US?), but over here there are often cases, in my case between the rooms 'Germany' and 'Austria', where people's message double and the standard suggestion 'close all WME instances except one' doesn't help, because there are no multiple WME instances, but the problem persists.

The US does have only one chat room for the entire country.

The suggestion to 'close all WME instances except one' and then refresh the last remaining window will not always work. It was suggested for the specific case caused by having multiple windows open, and has been proven to work in a lot of cases though. If you have any other suggestions that work occasionally, let's add them to the list.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Fredo-p » Wed May 28, 2014 7:29 am

fuchserl wrote:I don't know how the chat rooms are organized in the US (is there one room per state or just one for the whole US?).....

I believe the entire US is in one chat room. Can't vouch for Canada though.
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby fuchserl » Wed May 28, 2014 7:06 am

Most of the time the reason will be several WME instances, of course.

I don't know how the chat rooms are organized in the US (is there one room per state or just one for the whole US?), but over here there are often cases, in my case between the rooms 'Germany' and 'Austria', where people's message double and the standard suggestion 'close all WME instances except one' doesn't help, because there are no multiple WME instances, but the problem persists.
fuchserl
Map Editor - Level 6
Map Editor - Level 6

Postby qwaletee » Wed May 28, 2014 3:07 am

fuchserl wrote:
If it is not caused by multiple instances of WME in my experience it is caused by changing countries while being in the chat without reloading the page.
The chat seems to not 'log you out properly' of one country, therefore your messages might still show up in the first country, when returning from the second country your messages are doubled in the first country.

Doubtful. Most US Waze editors never leave the US, and there have been many reporting this problem in the US. I have experienced it, and I never edit outside the US.

However, what you describe may be an example of a more general problem where the frame is reloaded, the chat service is never notified to drop the connection, and the new chat window is therefore readdressable by the chat server for pushing out messages, yet not identified as a duplicate due to a new session ID being used. A simple fix would be to always synchronize chat session IDs at creation with whatever addressable information is used to maintain the chat session communication.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby fuchserl » Wed May 28, 2014 1:55 am

PesachZ wrote:A short section on the known issues (and solutions) such as messages being doubled, tripled or more (I think the record is 8x), which can sometimes be caused by having multiple instance of WME running, and corrected by closing all other instances and refreshing WME.

If it is not caused by multiple instances of WME in my experience it is caused by changing countries while being in the chat without reloading the page.
The chat seems to not 'log you out properly' of one country, therefore your messages might still show up in the first country, when returning from the second country your messages are doubled in the first country.
fuchserl
Map Editor - Level 6
Map Editor - Level 6

Postby PesachZ » Tue May 27, 2014 10:55 pm

It should also have information on visible/invisible. You are unable to send messages while invisible.

You can click on another users name in the right panel to jump to their location.
(There are some scripts I believe which interact somehow with the location jumping, though I do not use any and am not familiar.

It is a useful tool for informal mentoring, getting advice on a situation, and quick unlocks.

There could be a note that a lot of editors leave chat open while doing other things, so if you don't get response it doesn't mean you are being ignored. It may be no one saw your message.

A short section on the known issues (and solutions) such as messages being doubled, tripled or more (I think the record is 8x), which can sometimes be caused by having multiple instance of WME running, and corrected by closing all other instances and refreshing WME.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Fredo-p » Tue May 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Don't forget to make an important note on how the chat pics its server based on the location you are currently editing and how its server wide.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Re: [New Page] WME Chat

Postby PesachZ » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:50 pm

I updated some images and bullet points to the WME Chat addon script to be current with v0.7
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion