[New Page] WME Chat

Moderator: Unholy

[New Page] WME Chat

Postby vectorspace » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:38 am

I think it's time to create a new page on WME Chat. It's been around long enough to see some good things and some challenges. I have a few ideas inspired by various editors and users of WME Chat. I'll just through out some ideas and perhaps we can create this soon and expand as needed.

WME Chat
  • Description/Background
  • Etiquette
    • Politeness issues
    • Language
    • Do not offer advice in other states of which you are not familiar, rules in other states may be different than your own (link)
  • How to use WME Chat
  • Beneficial Uses (describe each)
    • Rapid, real-time interaction while you edit
  • Drawbacks
    • Many voices can be confusing.
    • You may obtain wrong information, be careful who you trust.
  • Frustrations you may experience
    • You may not have a response to your request (reasons why)
    • Reloading your page will loose prior chat history
    • etc.
  • Alternatives to WME Chat
    • Text Chat (benefits, drawbacks)
      • Google Hangouts
      • etc.
    • Voice Chat (benefits, drawbacks)
      • Telephone
      • C3
    • etc.
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Fri May 30, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Wiki link for convenience
vectorspace
vectorspace

Re: [New Page] WME Chat

Postby ply8808 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Here is a start......
Reasons for no response:
Away from keyboard.
Viewing another window.
(These above reasons could be remedied by simply going invisible in chat prior to action)
Specific area announced and no editing permissions for unlock/update request.
Request in a state or region that is not familiar.
Assisting another editor.

Suggestion to identifying those who can help:
For Country Managers, Local Champs and Global Champs, rank icon in chat could have the following identifiers instead of a number and a color border for easy recognition:
Country Manager - CM
Local Champ - LC
Global Champ - GC
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
Assisting Regional Coordinator - Mid Atlantic Region
HD riding wazer, Arizona.
iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.2
ply8808
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby HavanaDay » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:55 pm

I do not agree with the absolute Do Not offer advice outside your area. I have seen other low level editors help each other out with great success. But it usually starts out with this is how we do it here so please check your local rules.

To expand on my thought. I think there should be something like that in there just not the absolute "Do Not".
USA Country Manager
AM North Carolina (Primary Focus Charlotte Metro)
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby vectorspace » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:21 pm

HavanaDay wrote:I do not agree with the absolute Do Not offer advice outside your area. I have seen other low level editors help each other out with great success. But it usually starts out with this is how we do it here so please check your local rules.

To expand on my thought. I think there should be something like that in there just not the absolute "Do Not".

I completely agree with you... I was rushed when I wrote this. My thought was more like this:

"Be careful offering advice outside of your local area. Regional and state differences exists (show a link or two to the state resources or forums) and your advice may be inaccurate in that area. Outdated areal images may be deceiving if locals are editing new construction areas. Providing advice on simple or common topics should be fine."
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:23 am

vectorspace wrote:"Be careful offering advice outside of your local area. Regional and state differences exists (show a link or two to the state resources or forums) and your advice may be inaccurate in that area. Outdated areal images may be deceiving if locals are editing new construction areas. Providing advice on simple or common topics should be fine."

Sounds like good advice...
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

[Page Needed] WME Chat

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:02 pm

{EDIT: The thread from this point forward came from a separate thread that I started and forgot we already had a thread going on CHAT. I will update the Chat page I started to reflect the outline vectorspace already proposed.}

It has been identified that the Wiki has nothing on the WME Chat. It is unfortunate that Waze did not create anything for NanoRep either. :(

I propose we set up the page with the following sections:

Title = "Waze Map Editor/Chat"
  • Overview (w/ image of a chat screen)
  • Enabling chat mode
  • Etiquette in communications (dos and don'ts)

Not sure there is anything else to cover. I personally don't use the chat, so I am not in a good position to start the page, but I am happy to review the content once someone gets something up there.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: [Page Needed] WME Chat

Postby Fredo-p » Tue May 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Don't forget to make an important note on how the chat pics its server based on the location you are currently editing and how its server wide.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby PesachZ » Tue May 27, 2014 10:55 pm

It should also have information on visible/invisible. You are unable to send messages while invisible.

You can click on another users name in the right panel to jump to their location.
(There are some scripts I believe which interact somehow with the location jumping, though I do not use any and am not familiar.

It is a useful tool for informal mentoring, getting advice on a situation, and quick unlocks.

There could be a note that a lot of editors leave chat open while doing other things, so if you don't get response it doesn't mean you are being ignored. It may be no one saw your message.

A short section on the known issues (and solutions) such as messages being doubled, tripled or more (I think the record is 8x), which can sometimes be caused by having multiple instance of WME running, and corrected by closing all other instances and refreshing WME.
ImageImageImageImageNYImageImageImageImageImageImage
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby fuchserl » Wed May 28, 2014 1:55 am

PesachZ wrote:A short section on the known issues (and solutions) such as messages being doubled, tripled or more (I think the record is 8x), which can sometimes be caused by having multiple instance of WME running, and corrected by closing all other instances and refreshing WME.

If it is not caused by multiple instances of WME in my experience it is caused by changing countries while being in the chat without reloading the page.
The chat seems to not 'log you out properly' of one country, therefore your messages might still show up in the first country, when returning from the second country your messages are doubled in the first country.
Wolfgang

AM, CM (AT), Translator (DE), Beta-WME, App Beta Leader

Image ImageImageImage
fuchserl
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby qwaletee » Wed May 28, 2014 3:07 am

fuchserl wrote:
If it is not caused by multiple instances of WME in my experience it is caused by changing countries while being in the chat without reloading the page.
The chat seems to not 'log you out properly' of one country, therefore your messages might still show up in the first country, when returning from the second country your messages are doubled in the first country.

Doubtful. Most US Waze editors never leave the US, and there have been many reporting this problem in the US. I have experienced it, and I never edit outside the US.

However, what you describe may be an example of a more general problem where the frame is reloaded, the chat service is never notified to drop the connection, and the new chat window is therefore readdressable by the chat server for pushing out messages, yet not identified as a duplicate due to a new session ID being used. A simple fix would be to always synchronize chat session IDs at creation with whatever addressable information is used to maintain the chat session communication.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion