Dead-ends: u-turns, length & roundabouts

Post by AliG2605
Hi all,
I’m relatively new to Waze editing just wanted to clarify a few of things about dead-ends. I see a lot here in the ACT that don’t seem follow what I understand from the Wikis. I’ve been working my way through ‘fixing’ many of them, but just wanted to check that I’m doing it right.

1. On u-turns and the end of a dead-end, the wiki says to have a red u-turn symbol at the end (with no question mark on the node). I take it this is still the case?

I’ve been changing a lot that show green symbols but have done a bit of a double take when seeing that some have been last edited by some fairly high ranking editors.

Here’s the aptly named Wisdom Pl, Hughes currently showing a green u-turn last edited in Nov 2013, by ps_au. (probably a mistake or some odd thing the editing application did (see comment at end) as I’ve see plenty of his recent edits that are red)

2. Another wiki page says to leave the end node of the dead-end short of the end of the road. But I’ve seen quite a few that seem too long. Eg Rich Pl, Higgins, ACT and Swan Pl, Lyons and Tasman Pl Lyons
Presumably these should be shortened?

3. There seem to be quite a lot of dead-ends that have small islands at the end. The wiki says to not map these as roundabouts. The dead-end node should be placed on the island. Presumably, its ok to delete these roundabouts? Here’s an example: Florina Pl, Hawker, ACT. As it’s a double ended dead-end, I’ve fixed one end so it is ‘correct’ (as I understand things), and left the other end with the roundabout. Here’s another at Griver Pl Stirling, ACT created by Caradellino, presumably prior to this issue being addressed in the Wiki.

3a. There are also a few dead ends with circular traffic islands part way down like Withers Pl, Weston, ACT and Colbatch Pl, Curtin. Presumably these should be ignored and the road just mapped straight through them?

4. I just noticed the Rich Pl example has no node at the end, which is why it doesn’t show the u-turn symbol. Here’s how to fix this: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Creating_and ... _dead-ends

Also, the other night was fixing a few of these u-turn symbols and sworn I’d done it right and saved it, only to find that the symbol had changed back to green. Anyone noticed this?

I’d appreciate feedback on this. While not a particularly important issue for routing, it is probably something that newer editors could work on without too much risk.

Cheers
AliG
AliG2605

POSTER_ID:16904502

Send a message

Post by AliG2605
Thanks Ispyisail,
It took me a while to get the right version of WME Validator running, but wow it certainly lets you easily see what needs to be done, and you're right, the ACT has heaps of issues to fix. Thanks for fixing some of them.

Cheers
AliG
AliG2605
Send a message

ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
created by Caradellino, presumably prior to this issue being addressed in the Wiki.
One of the problems now, is you can mass edit from a very zoomed out level so they/we/I won't see the problem as you can when zoomed in.
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
RE: ACT

In my opioion ACT has got some deep problems

This is just a sample

ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by numbermaniac
I feel my Q key will be the first to break.

numbermaniac
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by RThorek
It does seem a little backward but I believe it is to do with the bug mentioned in the wiki,

This is the behaviour as I've experienced it with various streets -
  • When set to green gives the instruction for the user to proceed to the end of the street, turn around and go back the other way. For most of the short streets in the ACT that are a dead end with a widened turning area or small roundabout that makes sense. If for example someone takes a wrong turn into a road it will say, go to the end, turn around and then continue routing as normal.
    However the bug that is mentioned on the wiki does occasionally pop up where you are directed, for example, left into a street, down to the end, back and then left again onto the road you used to be on. If you have it set to no turn then it will just give a "turn around" message to the user and since these streets are generally short they can work out the mechanics pretty easily.
I've only seen it once, and quite a while ago but I'll assume it is still valid (Happy to be corrected on that one!).

Shortening the road slightly puts the "end of street" position slightly behind the actual end of the road which compensates for the slight GPS delay so that, as the wiki says, you actually "cross" the end of the point.

On the mid street roundabout, I believe the normal behaviour is to route straight through, It reduces the number of instructions given to the user, especially since they don't really have any other choice. I would use the Cul-De-Sac Guidance (https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Junction_Sty ... ul-de-sacs) on the matter that basically says that if the circle is big enough that it looks like multiple streets coming together then use a roundabout, otherwise go straight through. Same for the south end of Florina Street that you linked to, I believe it should mirror the way the North end was done.

As you say it doesn't make a massive difference but if the map can be a bit more simple then it makes it easier for people when they're using the app, especially if they're new and expect waze to behave like their old GPS!

Cheers
RThorek
Send a message