Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Area Managers and Ranking Level

Post by dmeehan
How do you become an Area Manager? Please dont say email support as they are non responsive.

Also how do you increase your ranking level. I have increased my ranking from 160,000+ to 39,000 but I am still a level 3 editor. Whats the point otherwise?
dmeehan
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:193211

Send a message

Post by arthurohara
Greetings dmeehan,

Yours
How do you become an Area Manager? Please dont say email support as they are non responsive.

Also how do you increase your ranking level. I have increased my ranking from 160,000+ to 39,000 but I am still a level 3 editor. Whats the point otherwise?
Its great you have such interest and that you do a big amount of great work.

Correct house numbering is VERY important for future developments. Editing on Waze is not about quick gain. If that is identified, Waze is not really interested in elevating editors. It is about authenticity and the needed in-depth correctness of the map that can be relied upon by users. Any half-hearted effort is now readily identified over time, as is the good stuff.

Ireland is working towards having its own determination in course.

Have a read of this - Area Manager - https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Area_Manager

Regards,
Arthur O Hara.
arthurohara
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Arthur O Hara
Local Champ
Country Manager Ireland
https://eb1rhs
Waze Ireland Twitter @WazeIreland
[url]https:///cF4Rje[/url]

Friend Me Facebook http://goo.gl/o2fjOI
Google Earth Imagery Updates: [url]https:///CIYBsn[/url]

Post by davidg666
dmeehan wrote:How do you become an Area Manager? Please dont say email support as they are non responsive.
Some countries are self-managed (meaning that country admins handle AM applications) but Ireland isn't one of those countries, so here we have to deal directly with Waze. See this slightly out-of-date wiki page and then fill in the application form on this page. I've found in the past that AM applications are handled pretty quickly.
dmeehan wrote:Also how do you increase your ranking level. I have increased my ranking from 160,000+ to 39,000 but I am still a level 3 editor. Whats the point otherwise?
It's not automatic; you usually have to ask Waze support to bump you up when your edit count gets high enough for a new level. The default editing rank for an area manager is level 3, but if you have more than 100,000 edits you can go up to level 4 - but again, you have to ask Waze support for it. If you have more than 250,000 edits, you can go up to level 5.

Hope that all makes sense - does it answer your question?

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
dmeehan wrote:
davidg666 wrote:does it answer your question?
Yes, but its not the answer I was hoping for. I have yet to receive a reply from Waze support :roll:
I know ... however the application form for area managers sends the application in directly, so it doesn't go by the same route as normal messages to Waze support.

For message to Waze support don't use the email address (I'm not sure that that ever works) but go via the Ask a question page - put "increase editing rank" in there, and *then* click the "Click here" link next to the message "Still can't find what you're looking for?" at the bottom. That's worked in the past for me, although I have to admit I haven't used it for a while.

EDITED TO ADD: just had a fiddle with that form and it takes a bit of poking until you can get it to give you a form you enter subject, username, location, device, OS and more details. I think they make it hard to do on purpose to force people to read the documentation first...

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Last edited by davidg666 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by davidg666
dmeehan wrote:In the AM Application form, what do they want Permalinks of?
Permalinks from the editor centred on the area (or areas) where you want to be area manager status. What I've done in the past is centre the editor on the area I want (for example, a town that I know and want to manage) then zoom all the way out, make a permalink, and send that. That results in a fairly large rectangular AM area being added to the set of areas you have AM rights over.

It is (or, at least, used to be) possible to get a non-rectangular AM area by giving them a description of the area you want - but I don't see a field in the form for providing a description.

Hope this helps,

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
dmeehan wrote:Ah ha! I am way off the mark, I have only 22,000 edits. I was looking at points :oops:
Ah well; keep editing so :)

I've you want to rack up a lot of legitimate edits and get good practice, one thing to try is to pick a town that you know but that is poorly mapped and go through it from top to bottom, mapping every street, getting all the junctions and street names right, adding landmarks, and mapping the roads in the countryside around the town too. I find it takes a while (2..3 weeks per town, depending how many hours a day you put into it) but the results are worth it. This is what I did for places like Wexford, Enniscorthy, Athy, Kilkenny and Carlow (building on the work started by others, mind you - Waze mapping is definitely a team effort!)

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
seriousarsonist wrote:And house numbers! don't forget house numbers!
I have to admit that I haven't bothered with adding many house numbers - it takes a lot of research and time for not much perceived gain.

Do we know if house numbers actually get used for address searches if they're present? It's always seemed to me that address searches don't get you any closer than the street being searched for, although that might because there are very few house numbers in there; maybe if we did have more house numbers added they would, in fact, become useful...

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by dmeehan
davidg666 wrote:does it answer your question?
Yes, but its not the answer I was hoping for. I have yet to receive a reply from Waze support :roll:
dmeehan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dmeehan
In the AM Application form, what do they want Permalinks of?
dmeehan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dmeehan
Thanks for the help on this
dmeehan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message