The ability to provide driving instruction based on lanes, a clearer and smoother driving experience for drivers.
While mapping, pay attention to the different types of junctions.
If you cannot add lanes, instead of hacking the map or creating a workaround please add the feedback to the spreadsheet, choose the right type of feedback, and explain the reason why.
How does it look in the app?
- The next turn indication will transition to a lane guidance for streets where the lanes have been added from the Waze Map Editors community.
- For primary streets and minor Highway it will happen ~500m before the junction. For Freeways and Major Highway ~1,5km.
Important to know
What is currently not supported, but we are working on?
- More complicated types of junctions. We currently only support +, H and # junctions.
What is currently out of scope?
- Lanes on Roundabouts.
- Merging lanes
- Lanes on AA , the whole platform is undergoing a restructure and redesign in order to make it easier to add features.
- Lane guidance on "snake route" through JB.
- Bus lanes (and other not allowed lanes)
- Lanes are available on Carplay but are not centered, slightly aligned to the left.
- Editing segments with lane guidance, i.e: splitting them, will cause lanes data removal so make sure to add map comments where necessary.
Where can we find more information about Lanes?
We created this Lanes Knowledge Base in order to help you start smoothly and have a snapshot of all the knowledge created during the alpha and beta stage. We’ll make sure to update it periodically with new content if needed.
At intersections with a stop line, take all existing lanes.
In the example at the right this will give the following:
Avoid to use at-grade connectors. See also the Global wiki
H and # crossings
At the moment 5/2020 this works only for RBS(routing beta server)
On those crossing the Lane Guidance instructions will be combined. (Heuristics)
There are some conditions that must be taken into account.
- The intermediate segment must be less than 50m.
- Straight segments must be in a straight line (option for a 20° offset)
- Left turn must be between 70° a 110°) You can Use "Micro Doglegs"
- The number of lanes entering the intersection is equal to the total number of lanes exiting the intersection (i.e., no new lanes are added or subtracted in the median).
- All intermediate segments, having more than 1 allowed direction, must be configured with LG and number of lanes must not change withing that segment.
Lane Guidance can be added to segments which are part of a Junction Box just as they can be added to any other segment. All turn arrows inside a Junction Box must be green (unrestricted) in order for lane guidance to work. Use the Junction Box itself to restrict any necessary turns.
Guidelines on when LG can be used
- On Freeway, Major Highway, Minor Higway. On other types of road they can be used in exceptional cases.
- On regular junctions where there are at least 2 lanes for 1 of the given directions.
- On regular junctions where incoming lanes have a mandatory direction other than straight ahead.
- on complex junction. Example there are 2 segments on the right (first in an angel of <90° an the other on an angel of > 90°
Guidelines on when NOT to use LG
- On highways for a simple 1 lane exit where the number of lanes before and after the exits remain the same.
- On regular junction where the pre-sorting lane are rather short
- On regular junction with only 1 lane for each direction.
Guidelines on when to use CS (Continue Straight)
Continue Straight lane's are not shown by default. This can be overruled.
- If there can be confusion with another LG within the thresold distance (Freeway and Major Highway 1,5km, minor Highway 500m) before.
view and hear
- When some of the lanes before the junction are not anymore available after the junction
- Lane Tools
- Go to script And click on RAW