I’ve put a lot of effort into fixing this little service road today. The addresses for the houses on that little road are all on “Alton RD” which is the main street that runs just in front of them… but one has to turn onto the service road to actually reach their homes.
However, Waze doesn’t show the right routing. After some good ol’ RTFM, I find that internal house numbers are not yet used for routing, so I should fix this in Google. Sure, says I, and off to Google I go. But Google does not even have the little service road in their map database, so I cannot move the pin to correct the routing for these addresses.
I like to finish what I started. Is there any way that I can get Waze to show the right routing for these six homes? Even if I have to jump through six more hoops to do so?
Just move the address pin in google closer to where the service (private) road is. Service road should probably not be used as it is exactly the same as street for routing preferences.
Not sure I understand, sorry. First, this “service road” (I don’t know what else to call it) is tiny and unmarked, but is open to the public and driveable so it may as well be called a street. I don’t think it has a name, because as noted those houses have Alton RD addresses.
Also, when I tried to move the Google pin I was only able to move it along Alton RD… when you say “move the pin closer to where the service road is”, do you mean closer to where the service road begins? Or what?
I would name the service road “Alton Road” as well, temporarily directly connect it to Alton Road with a segment also called Alton Road, then you should be able to drag the stop points to the service road. Then delete the temporary segment.
This should give correct routing when Waze addresses go live, as well as now, assuming that the Google pins are in the right places.
I’ve done this near me and tested and it works. What happens is you’ll be driving on Alton Road, get a direction to turn right on XYZ Street, then an immediate left on Alton Road.
The only possible difference I see between my situation and yours is that the service roads in my neighborhood are explicitly signed with the same name as the main road and it sounds like yours are not.
My apologies if I’ve somehow misunderstood your situation; I am checking forums at lunch on phone. I’ll look at your permalink later to make sure I didn’t say something stupid.
Unless that’s the name of the alley/service road, I wouldn’t suggest naming it the same as the street. We want the maps to be accurate and that wouldn’t be accurate. Most of these kinds of roads are unnamed in the US and should be left that way. The fix for now would be to update the pin in Google as mentioned. To do so, move the pin closer to where the alley/service road is on the map so that it’s closer to there than to the main road. After the update is processed by Google, a new search of that address (don’t just use what’s in your favorites) should route you to the correct location.
Regarding the road type, Service Road will “soon” be removed and anything mapped as that will be changed to Street. From other discussions and the Wiki, it’s been recommended that all alleys (these qualify as that) be mapped as Parking Lot Roads. This will keep regular traffic from routing down them, but will allow local traffic (those starting or ending on the road) to route there correctly.
Learned a little more in the past couple of days. First, some of the neighbors succeeded in having that little street named. It’s now officially a street: Old Alton RD. Also, I did more testing with different search engines using 2950 Alton RD as a guinea pig:
Google does not route correctly (stops on Alton)
Waze routes correctly
Yahoo! routes correctly
Bing routes correctly
In the end, I can’t do much other than to reflect the legal reality. I’ve created the two new segments for “Old Alton RD” and set their turn restrictions correctly, and I’ve added all house numbers to BOTH Alton RD and Old Alton RD to prevent any confusion for the foreseeable future while everyone gets used to the name change.
Unless someone can help me see something I’ve missed, I’m calling this one solved.