Bad directions

I been on WAZE for many years and reported issues, bad addresses, etc. I just actually registered with a username.

Issue: From the NYS thruway exit 19, Kingston NY for instance. The route to my home which is on Church Road near Glasco turnpike in the town of Saugerties. The Waze route takes you to rt 28, to rt 209, to kings highway to Sheehan lane (which is the problem) to Schoolhouse rd. to Glasco Turnpike, etc.

My issue is that Sheehan road is narrow, winding, no lights, no services, and isolated. It’s OK for me because I know it and live here. For anyone, older, not from the area, or at night, or in bad weather, it’s just plain bad.

For the same time or a minute longer you should be directed to rt 28, to Zena road, to Sawkill rd, to Highwoods Church rd which becomes Church Rd. Rt 28 is lighted, populated, has 3 gas stations, convenient stores, etc. If you need help you can get it.

There are many instances where the waze directions take you to Sheehan lane. It is a back road at best.
It can easily take you all the way to Glasco turnpike which is much easier, or up rt 28.

I am happy to help correct this.
Thank You
Bruce.

Thanks Bruce! I think I’ve answered a report of yours before - most of my family lives in the Saugerties area, so I know exactly where you’re talking about.

Unfortunately, Waze is based in speed data. We can add in only a limited number of characteristics, such as unpaved, toll, and ferry, but narrow and/or unlit are not options. Typically, if a road is narrower or more of a hazard (unlit, lots of pot holes), people will drive slower, and Waze will see that slower route and choose the alternative if it is faster.

As you mentioned, that other route is a minute longer. Waze is meant to find the fastest route, so it’s going to give the fastest route it can based on user data. At this time, there’s just not another way around that. ​​​​​​ There are a lot of driving preferences out there, and Waze tries to strike a balance by trying to find that average data.