Waze has a legal obligation to do what it can to reasonably prevent users from using copyrighted sources to create their maps. This is one step. The Google lawyers are part of the Waze infrastructure and they are directly involved with anything legal related to Waze. They are doing everything they can to protect their liability whether we like it or not.
Just a small bit of perspective: until a little over a year ago (time flies!), these buttons didn’t even exist. We did just fine before that. Did they save time? Undoubtedly. Can we edit without them? Unquestionably. Five years’ prior experience proved that.
Edit: typo
Edit again: Yes, some of the capability (OSM, LiveMap) was in Addons before it was in Toolbox, but to my recollection, Bing, Google, Mapmaker came later.
Frankly I don’t think I ever used those links. My point is the toolbox is doing a great job for many people. Your big red text seems a little overkill for something that was removed for legal reasons.
No. This is not how copyright works - at least in the US (and the US doesn’t have much other protections for data). You have to have copying to have copyright infringement. So you can have the exact same data, but if you independently created it then it is not copyright infringement, while if it was copied from someone else then it can be copyright infringement. What matters is how the data is created, not just whether it turns out to be same as what someone else created. So if waze can say they discouraged things that would promote copying, that is a defense.
Couldn’t we at least have the link to Livemap back since it is part of Waze? That was the button I used the most anyway. That and Google Map Editor since I was constantly having to fix things that were broken in Google so that Waze routing worked.
You are correct that for some of us the tool provides other highly useful functions.
The links to other mapping tools was in a gray copyright area that Waze/Google is not willing to risk given the size of the company. The Live Map link was not. I have not yet spoken to Oyyo on that particular link removal, but my assumption is that can likely be added back in. Note that Oyyo is very busy with real life (like many of us) and may have just removed them all not thinking that Live Map is a Waze tool without copyright restriction considerations.
Maybe we just need to ask him to add it back and not blow up over it.
I have spoken to Waze staff over my 2.5 years of editing. I have been to Israel and spent a few days with their management and editors. I know for a fact that they greatly appreciate all the work and effort of the editing community. I realize some actions may feel as though they don’t, but sometimes it is a combination of circumstances that leads to a result that may not make sense to us outsiders.
Don’t forget that every one of us has 100% control of whether we are doing any work inside of the Waze maps. If you are too frustrated, just don’t log in anymore. Save yourself an ulcer. :mrgreen:
Well as noted above you can use the internal livemap link. It seems to me its just easier to say no links. There likely is something else in between that we will never know. But it is not necessarily something reasoned. The lawyers say no links to external sources. Then by the time that edict makes its way down to a script author, the livemap link disappears. Not a reasoned response, but still because of copyright type issues. As Kentsmith notes, maybe it can be reinstated as it shouldn’t be an issue.
This is getting a lot closer to the copyright issues that seem to be making waze nervous.
The removal of the links to Google and Bing and other external sources is absolutely 100% about copyright. We’ve been warned not to use copyrighted sources for years. It’s been in the Wiki for years. An entire country lost all its maps because of copyright infringement before and we don’t want that to ever happen again.
As far as the Livemap link, I don’t know. There’s no reason for that to have been removed.
Oyyo has actually clarified this – removing the whole “other maps” section of code was the most expedient way to do this, and he didn’t have time to cut out just the non-Waze services features.
Anyway, there is nothing we can do about the toolbox and the infamous links, but Oyyo, we love your script man and please keep working on it, we really, really, really appreciate all the free time you put on it.
Exactly. This. I’m not going to submit any more updates to Google Maps if this is the thanks we get (making it harder to edit). It’s already a frustrating enough experience (GMM is an abortion and updates often go ignored or reverted) so since it’s “important” we not be able to even link to Google, I won’t submit any more updates to Google Maps.
EDIT: Just to clarify in case it’s not clear, I’m not blaming Oyyo at all here.
I agree, i can’t even start to describe how bad is the experience to edit on Google Map Maker, now that there is no easy link to go there, i will not bother.
I agree that my experience with Google Map Maker is pretty awful. The problem with not at least trying to make changes in Google is that many Waze users blame Waze for the really bad routing they sometime get because Google has a pin somewhere strange. When I tell them I have tried to move the pin in Google, they appreciate the effort and probably are happier with Waze.
I do the same, the problem is when you find a place that you can not move, that is the majority of them. You need to be the owner of the business to move it… this place needs to be claimed from someone from that company with a G+ account and then they need to put the pin in the correct position…
Many people dont know, dont care or has an obscure department or third party company who deals with it and it is not productive for us to find them and explain the pin and G+ procedures… too much hassle…
Usually i ask the wazer who reported the UR to talk to the “company” owner and ask them to correct the location on google, and i explain i did what i could on my end.