I’d kinda like to try an experiment. If Waze had a mirror mode, it’s possible that we might be able to set it face up on the dashboard and see a ghostly image reflected in the windshield. It might be just good enough to provide a “Heads-Up-Display” effect to allow navigation assistance without taking eyes off the road.
Aside from a mirror mode, a real HUD mode might be adjusted to provide more contrast. Kind of like night mode, bright roads and black background and bigger turn indicators might provide more visibility in challenging lighting conditions and features on the HUD display might need to be reduced to limit distractions.
A real HUD mode might need lots of development, but just starting with a mirror display might allow for a test of the concept. I think it might be worthy of an experiment.
Although Waze is supported on several different types of hardware each hardware type would need to have enough ‘umph’ to project the display. Seems very unlikely, esp. in the daytime.
If Waze actually manufactured the hardware (which BTW is not the model that the GPS industry is going - it’s going to apps on smartphones and away from dedicated hardware) this may be more feasible.
I was having the exact same thought tonight.
There are other HUD apps out there such as “Awesome HUD” which applies the same concept of reflecting a mirrored image on the windshield.
I was testing out Waze in this concept and I think it’d be really cool to have this feature request through.
Even a simple mirror mode would probably satisfy my taste.
Yes, I’m aware that it won’t work as well during the day time, but… hey, if all it takes is a simple mirroring the screen… why not?! Haha.