This is the Airport or NAFEC Circle in front of Atlantic City Int’l Airport in Pomona… for years, it was a typical traffic circle (as the satellite picture shows). About a year ago, they decided to modify the circle and they put a road through the middle of it (as the map editor shows). However, Wave still wants to (now unnecessarily) take people half way around the circle to continue straight on Delilah Road (both directions). Does anyone know how to fix this? I’ve modified it to have the feeder roads as ramps and not ramps and as a service road vs. street, etc., with no change in what Waze does.
All of the mind-numbing number of roads and ramps and turns and not allowed turns are marked correctly.
No, I don’t. But I would note that if the intersections of the new road and the circle don’t allow any turns, then you don’t really need a junction there and you can keep the circle as a round-about. Not sure if that would affect the routing though.
There’s 2 things that immediately pop into my mind when I look at this intersection:
What’s with the seemingly needless criss-crossing road lines at some of the circle junctions? Are there different signs at each approach to the next circle exit that would make a single node there insufficient? Keep-left and Exit-Right prompts can be achieved with multiple segments entering the same node as long as your angles of deflection on the exit segments are correct.
Doesn’t it seem counter-intuitive that the primary street cuts through the circle while through traffic on the minor highway has to go around it? These two roads may be of the wrong types…
In any case, there are lots of other “former circles” like this around the state, like this one near Princeton or this one in Elizabeth. With most of them, we’ve had to actually remove the roundabout segments and replace them with just regular road/highway segments that produce standard “keep left/exit right” prompts in order to get navigation to work right with the part that cuts through the circle. Better yet, if there’s a way to do that without actually deleting any segments, that would be preferred so we don’t lose any road metrics, like speed, time to get through a junction, etc.
The big difference between these examples and the one in the OP is that in these examples you can turn from the circle to the interior hamburger segment and vice versa. Because of this you cannot designate the circle as a true roundabout in waze. In the example in the OP, there are no turns allowed from the circle to the interior hamburger segment or vice versa, thus the circle could be a kept as true roundabout.
Yeah, a lot of problems with that one. I don’t think any of those should be ramps. The circle roads themselves should be minor highways, since the through highway that uses them is a minor.
Is there a construction website for that intersection?
If you think we’re confused by this circle, you should see the people who try to use it. This project was intended to relieve congestion & increase safety, but has instead increased congestion & accidents.
OK, I fixed it up the way I think it should work best. See what you think.
I locked everything at 6 so if somebody wants to change it, they need to come to a high level editor, and I hope that editor will have enough sense to ask me what we were trying to accomplish.
I think it looks correct; much more simple and should definitely route Delilah Rd through the circle with the bridge. One thought: Since Delilah Rd is no longer cutting into the inside of the circle, should the rest be changed to a roundabout? Just a suggestion…
It has to do with expectations in my mind. When people encounter lights, they may not even realize they are on a roundabout. I believe they would expect more traditional turn commands when encountering a light. I know I would.
Makes sense. But I’m not sure that its the lights that are the problem. We have many circles in DC that have lights that we think of as traffic circles and are typed that way in waze. I believe that most people think of Dupont Circle in DC as a traffic circle even though it has multiple traffic lights. The problem I would see with the circle in the OP is that its terribly confusing what should be counted as an exit and what should not. I’m not sure what take the third exit means in that circle.
Roundabouts, by definition, do not have intersections, and certainly not intersections where it looks like you could turn left*, regardless of whether it is actually allowed or not. Instead, they have entrances and exits, much like a freeway.
Those map edits make sense and should solve the problem – thanks, all!
You should try driving that thing… my favorite part is people who fly into the airport that aren’t familiar with the area are dumped into this thing as their first test of South Jersey roads. lol