Navigating to nearest streeto for HN, not stop poiint

I’ve been noticing that Waze will navigate to the nearest street to the House Number, regardless of where the Stop Point is. So for example, we have a lot of alleys in Milwaukee that people use on a regular basis. When an alley gets added (marked as a PLR), Waze will route you to the alley when you go to that house number. Looking at the HN layer, all the HN’s are over half-way to the alley instead of the main road where the stop point is.

Isn’t Waze supposed to navigate to the Stop Point, not the house number?

I’m not looking to start (restart) a discussion on alleys here, just the problem. The same problem occurs at the corners of two streets. Navigation takes you to the side street that is closest to the HN, not the main street with the Stop Point.

I’ve been having to move HN’s up close to the street, generally all the way to the front of the house or even the sidewalk, just to get Waze to route to the proper street.

Are the house numbers for which waze is routing to the alley “trusted” house numbers? In other words, did they list a prior editor before you moved the house number? If not, then waze wasn’t using the house number for searches yet. Waze only uses the house number after an editor touches it. So It might be that you didn’t need to move the HNs up close to the street, but rather any edit you made to the HN would have caused waze to start routing to the stop point.

All the HN’s I’ve seen so far are original imports (non touched). Now that I know about the ‘trusted’ aspect, I’ll start ‘touching’ as many as I can find so that Waze uses them.

Please make sure to read the House Numbers documentation in the wiki. “The Waze app address search will only use the Waze house number if it has been created in the editor, or has been modified (moved).” is part of the Things to Remember section.

Thanks Alan. I did read through it before I posted here, but I evidently missed that part.

A few lines of code could fix the routing problem extremely fast. Only route to the nearest street unless the pin has been moved.

Per https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Illinois#Alleys “As a general rule, alleys should not be mapped. They clutter the map and can cause routing issues.” IMHO, Chicago alleys should be turned into linear place features or remove them, it as much quicker to remove them than to move 100,000 address pins.

This would cause significantly worse routing for the vast majority of other locations across the country.

Please be aware that Bigbear indicated this was an error in the Illinois wiki that is being corrected. Most alleys have actually been mapped - and are intended to be that way - tho the need to touch/adjust HNs remains a large task throughout the city.