Ready to move unlocks/update requests to US forum?

All, are we ready to have all US update and unlock requests move into the sub-forum here? I don’t think there’s much to do but drop a post in the two forums in use now. I’d like to do this today.

Don’t forget to stick “US” on the end of the name. :wink:

Yes.

This is complete.

Does anyone have an objection to auto-prune topics 30 days after last reply/view? I think it’d help keep board post volume a bit more under control and I don’t see a need to keep these requests all that long.

Anyway to only auto prune those marked Solved after X days? Or only those with 1 (or more) replies after X days?

This would prevent an unanswered requests (one that got lost in the shuffle) from disappearing (and would keep them at the bottom of the list so they should be easy to find).

There may be a MOD which has this level of granularity, but it is not built into the phpbb core functions.

Ok, couldn’t hurt to ask about it…

On a side note, why is the US under “North America” while Canada & Mexico are one level up under “Americas and Caribbean” (i.e. “Board index ‹ Country (Language) Forums ‹ Americas and Caribbean ‹ North America ‹ United States” vs “Board index ‹ Country (Language) Forums ‹ Americas and Caribbean ‹ Canada”)

Hmm, I don’t know. They can be useful in a couple of situations.

First, substantive editing or navigation discussions do break out occasionally from unlock/update requests. However, we could easily agree simply to move threads from the unlock/update request forum to the appropriate forum when a discussion develops.

Second, I do refer back to previous update/unlock threads when a new request is made in the same area. Typically, this is where there is construction, a road closure or the aerial images are off for some reason and requests periodically come in regarding the same area. I find it helpful to link back to the discussion rather than explain to every editor that sees what appears to be a problem why no action is required. This is not that frequent and most of those that I remember to refer to are likely not over 30 days old, but it might be better to leave them a bit longer. Alternatively, maybe these should be dealt with by moving also. If the unlock request refers to a closure, construction or other issue that other editors are likely to see and question after 30 days, maybe the standard procedure should be to move the thread to the appropriate state forum. A good example is this this request which I linked back to today when someone else requested it be unlocked. It would be nice if it survived until June 1st. Maybe it would be better if it were saved in the Delaware forum.

What’s the reasoning behind moving these from the regular unlock/update forums?

Organization and clarification when viewing forums with unread content. Generically-named forums are less-readable and less efficient. Also, the US dominates the main forums too much.

Why reverted?

That’s what Waze did to “fix it up.” Things are still messed up, like the ghost forum, so I am not touching anything.

Okay, with the forum being more stable lately, I’ve posted announcements asking people to move over to the US unlock/update requests forum.

I would still like to enable pruning, even if it is set to something like 60 or 30 days since last access/reply.

Hey Alan:

In the interest of keeping old stuff around, what if “pruning” meant that it was automatically moved to an “archive” folder? Is that a function that can be accomplished?

Nope. Pruning means it’s deleted. There may be a MOD which does this though.

Is the announcement redundant now that the sticky post regarding all the various country unlock forums has been added?