State Highway/Route Abbreviations

Split <> 600
SR-### < 600, VA-### > 600
VA if we don’t split.

Be sure to vote over here: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=580&t=125149

Some of my Google HO discussion didn’t end up here so just wanted to get it in put down here…

Please see this list of official Virginia route numbers from VDOT:

http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/route-index-07012003.pdf

  1. In it there is a clear distinction between types of roads. This is obvious to us road users from the different types of shields used on the signs, therefore we probably should make some sort of distinction in naming them in the app. Hence why I believe the choice should be to separate them.

As for what to name them, VDOT clearly calls routes under 600 “State Routes” and those over 600 (with two listed exceptions) as simply “Routes” so it seems to make sense that under 600 be called SR and over 600 is up in the air, therefore we have VA-### for that option.

Hence pick choice #1 – for science! :slight_smile:

(yeah, a bit late for me to be posting this…sorry. Thought I had already put it down until I reread them all and realized it wasn’t in here…)

I’m a fan of the VA-### as well. For one thing (I know its mostly irrelevant) VA is a commonwealth. I didn’t see an option of Commonwealth Route-### :lol:

Seriously though, I think the VA-### option coincides with what I’ve seen in most other states I’ve driven in rather than seeing a SR-###. And, I really like consistency.

That was my initial thought as well. However, being a commonwealth, we have to be different. :smiley:

I like the idea of having VA for all numbers. I can’t imagine many people outside of the waze community that would really know the difference between VA and SR.

So what are thoughts on how were going to do the numbers?

SR-1
SR-25
SR-348

vs

SR-001
SR-010

Only matters so i know how to write the validator script.

Please don’t do leading zeros. For most folks it’s confusing and unnecessary information, you won’t see zeros on the road signs and the sysadmin types will think these are octal numbers.

Thanks to everyone who took an interest in this important VA issue and got out the vote. It seems that a majority of Virginia editors are in favor of naming primary and secondary routes separately. Our new naming convention will be SR-### for primary routes and VA-### for secondary routes. With this, our first priority should be making sure that ramps and roads with the route name as their primary name are correct. Correcting alt names is a secondary priority. Thanks everyone for remaining committed to creating great VA maps!

Now that we have reached a consensus the the Virginia Validator Localization script and following pages have been updated.

Main Wiki

Virginia Validator Localization

Highway naming/USA

(may have to be logged in until the wiki cache refreshes to see changes)

If the pages are incorrect or there are more changes to be made let me know. :smiley:

Not to complicate things, but what about town maintained roads?

There are only a few in my area that I know about, but I’m sure I’ll find more:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-81.78871&lat=36.63130&layers=4071&zoom=4&segments=53115068

Do we use the Alt Name T-xxx or go with SR T-xxx?

What about Frontage roads?
F-xxx?

Where was this 2 weeks ago? :lol:

Well I hadn’t stumbled across it two weeks ago.
I wasn’t using the most excellent Validator VA customization back then…

Well played Sir.

Im not sure what the official answer is on that.

Does SR rule out town maintained roads? Are there alt names for those roads like CR-### or T-###. If they are named like that I would venture to guess it would be correct to name the roads as such.

I havent actually researched it though, but Im interested in the final outcome.

Other states use CR- for county roads so a town maintained road is a level below that, so I’d think SR- isn’t appropriate in that case – and especially now we’ve decided SR- is for the “special” shielded highways and the circular 600+ ones are VA-

I say stick with the T- – are there street signs that have that on it?

OK, technically, the T-roads in Virginia are not town-maintained roads, they are state secondary roads that are within a town. It is just a VDOT numbering system. At least in the towns I have been to, these are not the primary names of any street, so I would not be bothering with them at all.

Can we change the script to pull the road type notices?

I did not think we were deciding to ignore the FC maps (and discussion) and just going by number!!

I assumed “primary roads” referred to road numbers with shield logos and “secondary” as round logo.numbers.

To answer your second question, no, this discussion was not about upgrading all State Routes to minor highways. That decision was part of the FC national standards discussion made when the FC system was introduced and has been adopted by all 50 states. Please see the FC quick reference chart or the VA specific reference chart to see more about properly classifying roads.

You can go into the VA localization and delete/disable any checks that you do not want to run. I have temporarily disabled the check for incorrect name on secondary route because it was highlighting everything.

Yes, Primary Routes are designated with a shield by VDOT and a Secondary Routes get a white circle on a black background or sometimes a just a small rectangular sign with a number on it.

Sorry, now that I have re-read the script, I see it is only checking US highways not state highways for road type.

Thank you SuperMedic for the script

My pleasure. :slight_smile:
As time goes on I plan to modify it or make others which are for more specific projects.

I may do a validator of my own since validator is somewhat restricted. :slight_smile:

If you want something specific shot me a PM