Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

I’m asking how the county comes up with the names so we can code a workaround.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

CH names are always letters here. But how they decided what letters to use is up to each county and can be from a number of reasons.

Note, we do not use CTH- for our naming standard. We use CH-.

Would you be able to easily cross reference the ch designations against the abbreviation list in the wiki and see if there are any other conflicts please?

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

Easily? No. But I’ll get it done today and post back.

Thanks I bring it to the Devs when you’re done

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

I’m not sure if I just list words here that are misspoken in the app or if I put them on a list somewhere. Please let me know the right protocol.

The waze app pronounces “Base” like “Bass” (as in the fish).

Example, “Dobbins Air Reserve Base” is currently pronounced “Dobbins Air Reserve Bass”

PL: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-84.48607&lat=33.92287&zoom=6&segments=12679605&mapUpdateRequest=4923144

Putting here is fine, but give a pl, the full instruction (turn left to …) That you heard, why it sounded wrong, and how it should sound.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

Trying to solve a UR but I have heard the same instructions myself when driving to this road.

PL is above.

What it should sound like is “Base” (above) and what it does sound like is “Bass” (posted above).

The voice instructions recite the “to Dobbins Air Reserve” as above in the PL, only it says “Bass” vice “Base”.
Thanks

It will have to be addressed by the TTS vendor, but will not likely happen very soon

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

understand. is there anything else I need to do?

thanks.

No

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

What are we to conclude if the new test sounder still doesn’t sound like what is being pronounced in the client?

Nothing

As mentioned in the WME forum, and the WME Beta forum

St. Louis.
Road: Lemay Ferry

Local pronunciation different than what TTS is saying.

TTS: “luh-MAY ferry.”

It should be pronounced “LEE-may ferry.”

PL for reference:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-90.31436&lat=38.51464&layers=933&zoom=5&segments=88188760

Mispronunciation of the town name “Framingham” (MA).

Noted on this segment: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-71.23299&lat=42.31742&zoom=5&segments=22556252
Road Name: “Exit 20B: SR-9 W / Framingham / Worcester”

Framingham should be pronounced “FRAY-ming-ham”; Jane is saying “FRY-ming-ham”

S Crysler Ave should be pronounced “Chriss-ler”. It’s being pronounced like the auto manufacturer, Chrysler.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-94.43226&lat=39.08717&layers=1925&zoom=7&segments=27338634

Brg is pronounced correctly as ‘bridge’ when in the course of normal instructions, but is pronounced on my client as B-R-G when it occurs in the little summary spoken prior to starting a route. e.g. “Let’s get started! Let’s take Burrard B-R-G”. Then later, “turn left on Burrard Bridge”.

Brg is not a recommended abbreviation, you should be using Br. Unless you can show the BGS actually says Brg.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

I also experienced this and reported it to the beta team, but unfortunately they were unable to replicate the issue. It seemed to only happen with the “Lets take…” and “Continue straight…” strings and would occur with both B R G and H W Y abbreviations. Doing a complete uninstall and a fresh install seemed to fix the problem for me, but I wanted to do the uninstall to clean up some other issues as well.

With respect to the Brg abbreviation, we use the Canada Post addressing guidelines for abbreviations and some are not common between Canada and the US. The Brg abbreviation is in the localization file and is supported in Canada. Another somewhat unexpected abbreviation is Pky for Parkway, where most signage and typical abbreviation is Pkwy. Both are in the localization file.

Kayos

Forgive me, I did not realize you were speaking for Canada. In lieu of doing a full uninstall and install, you can clear your TTS cache. That usually is enough to do the trick. Navigate to cc@tts

Sent from Android using Tapatalk