TTS Mispronunciations in West Midlands

Since Waze started using the new (awful) “Kate” voice, a few incorrect pronunciations of local roads and areas have started. Could they be fixed please?

  • “Alcester” seems to have various random pronunciations, never the correct “UL-STER”
  • “Astwood” seems to be pronounced as “ARSE-T-WOOD” when its “AST-WOOD”

Thank you.

I’ve submitted a correction for Alcester as that sounds very wrong in the editor (although I’m sure we’ve asked for this to be corrected in the past)

I’m not seeing the same mispronunciation for Astwood in the editor though, does it pronounce it “ARSE-T-WOOD” every time for you?

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, it did mispronounce it every time.

Astwood Road in Worcester was where I first noticed it (the actual place might be right though).

Stourbridge is also being mispronounced. I think “Kate” says ST-EWER-BRIDGE. It should be as in “hour”.

Hmm, we have already corrected this a couple of times in the past. I’ll submit it again - thanks.

Sorry. Another one found on my travels. Redditch is mis-spelt without the ‘T’ on this roadsign.

Could it be corrected please? Thank you.

Found and corrected.

Thanks very much!

Another couple I am afraid from my recent journeys, eg. the way the ‘A38’ is said at this road junction:

The voice seems to say it AH-38 (as in “a” slice of bread") and not AYE-38 if you get my drift.

Although the nearby A441 was correctly said.

Stourbridge is also still said wrong by the way. Not sure if the actual place is said correctly, but Stourbridge Road near this location was wrong.

Thank you.

We have noted there are currently some issues with the TTS overrides we have submitted in the past. We’re hoping it will be resolved soon but are hesitant to start trying to correct stuff if our existing corrections are not being honoured in the app.