Data Update

I’m a new Waze user in the UK. Have tried to use several other common Android options but right now Waze is looking like the pick of the bunch for me.

The following query might be answered elsewhere if someone could kindly point me to it.

I installed Waze, and then used it on a 50 mile journey (each way), where it faithfully did what was expected.

However, when I got back home and checked my mobile phone account I noticed that 150+ Mb had been sucked out of my mobile phone contract. The only explanation for that was Waze - there’s nothing else going on which would suck data.

I’m on a 1Gb/month tariff, so 150Mb fits comfortably into what I am paying for. However, is Waze going to be sucking data out of my mobile phone account each time I use it?

This situation might have been a first-time situation to fill up a cache. If so, no problem. However I am concerned that it might figure it could pull (or push) data thru my mobile phone connection. Perhaps someone could kindly explain the situation?

Ta muchly!

The first time you use the app in a new area (or the first time ever), it will need to download map data for that area. If you pan the map to look around, you will also download the data from that area.

Running the app in 3D mode uses much more data than in 2D mode since you need to see the map out towards the horizon.

That data is cached but will be replaced if/when changes are made to the map in that area.

Besides map data, your device is continuously sending data to the Waze servers to show where you are now and the traffic you are experiencing. Similarly, your device is continuously download data from the Waze servers to show you where other users are and what traffic they are experiencing.

Any searches you perform will use data as well as any routing requests.

Waze will use more data than a static GPS app, but it is doing so much more so it make sense.

Most people do not have an issue with quotas from what I have heard. I have unlimited data so I have never paid close attention personally.

I usually use less than 2mb on a 120 mile trip.

I’ll plan my route while connected to my wifi, so that may help.

Thank you for the replies. This is perfect for my needs. I was surprised by the fact that I set the route whilst still in wifi range, but guess I set off before it got everything. No matter, I think I have found my satnav solution. :smiley:

What version of Android are you on? If 4.0+ you can see how much data each app is using under settings. If below that then download “My Data Manager” which does the same job. Just in case it’s another app suddenly getting a little greedy!

via Tapatalk

Oh and welcome to waze in the UK! :slight_smile:

via Tapatalk

For regular commuting, the data usage is quite low.

There’s also an advanced setting to compress the data.

via mobile

They removed it in 3.5…

v2.3, which doesn’t have the suggested options.

Here you go… https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm

via Tapatalk

Thanks for the link - it looks ideal, I just installed it and will give it a go.

I believe 150± is too much even for dense maps like the UK. I know that your client has probably already downloaded audio files and much of the map already, but please don’t forget to report back here with your findings.
Providers are notorious for their usage statistics. At least here. Sometimes I buy a package and check my balance to find 40+ mb has already been used! Sometimes it reports a number now and when I check again hours later it gives a smaller number. I KNOW they are actively cheating, even if unintentionally by their buggy billing system, but their word is the law when it comes to usage :frowning:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2