L3 Unlock, Mount Waverley, Vic, Stephensons Rd

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lon=145.12530&lat=-37.89461&layers=933&zoom=8&segments=149538387 <– Straight ahead at node B of this segment is not possible. See satellite image or street view. The road layout hasn’t change since both of these were done. Only the left turn should be enabled at node B coming out of this segment.

I’m only lvl 2 and can’t access the turn on Stephensons Rd.

HI Tricentrics.

We’ve lowered it to lvl 2 so please make the changes.

Change made, can be re-locked.

Troy

Good work Tricentrics, however I have a question about this intersection.
Do you think it’s unnecessarily over complicated on Hardner Rd leading into SR23 ?

Do you think we should simplify this to a standard cross road segment rather than all the turn segments?

Just a thought.

I do to some extent agree, however, sometimes removing these segments can cause auto generated reports about missing roads if a Wazer’s GPS trace is not accurate. Also, the turn into Hardner Rd was last updated by PS_AU. Maybe have that discussion with him.

As long as the intersection is working correctly, that’s my main concern. I don’t delete or remove segments unless it is necessary as it can create the auto generated missing road reports or effect accurate route planning based on it removing the timing between segments data.

lol. I didn’t even notice that it was ps_au who asked the simplifying question. Thanks for that. I’m all up for simplifying it if it doesn’t effect routing info based on timing, not having the changes generate auto reports on GPS location info being off, etc…

When you are new and you only have a small area to cover mico editing seams just fine. When you move up the ranks and you cover the whole country micro editing is a pain because it takes more time to find problems.

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink :slight_smile:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Best_map_editing_practice#Simplicity

I have read that in the Wiki (actually read quite a bit of the Wiki now since I started), however, I was not willing to take it upon myself to start making those sorts of changes and then get asked, “What the heck are you doing, you’re removing travel data, etc… by deleting those segments!”

If a higher lvl experienced editor wishes me to start simplifying intersections, then I shall go ahead and do it. I haven’t yet applied for an AM position, but I plan to. I am still hopeful on the Vic SM position, but I do believe I need a bit (if not a lot) more experience before looking after the entire state.

I’ve just been fixing errors that I find in trips I take and in and around where I see open U.R.s on the map. Found a lot of mistakes in the Bendigo region that I fixed last night and I’m sure there’s more, but it was already 2:30 am when I went to bed last night.

If a state, country or just area manager asks me to clean up intersections and simplify them, I’ll give it a go and send links to modified intersections to validate that all looks good and function as the TTS should.

As Ispyisail said, simplicity is usually easier than getting it as per the aerial overlay. On regards to automatic UR’s, keep on mind the most a GPS will track is 15mtres and sometimes even 4mtres of you’re lucky. So if an interchange has small slip lanes, sometimes a standard left or right turn is all that is needed.
Have a look at the GPS tracks are and see if the complexity is warranted.
And if in doubt, post it on the forums here to discus you’re idea of changing an intersection and why you feel it needs a change. It’s always good to get feedback from other wazers. And they even suggest something that you hadn’t thought of.

Well, for the purpose of accurate and informative TTS, I feel that although simplicity is good, this intersection if configured correctly (which it still isn’t as was pointed out with the almost right angles that the off ramp breaks into), could be a much better setup than just turning it into a plain crossroad intersection.

For example, City Bound traffic on the freeway that take the Exit to Forster Rd, on a plain cross road, would get the TTS, “Turn Right (or Left) onto Forster Rd”. Using the ramp system setup correctly, “Keep Right onto Forster Rd to Mount Waverley” or “Keep Left onto Forster Rd to Clayton”. Without the ramps, my understanding is that this type of TTS is not possible.

Once the road is setup correctly the first time, unless the road is changed, there is no need to alter the configuration of it, so extra map maintenance really shouldn’t be an issue.

I’d like to request that the following segments get unlocked to at least lvl 2 so that I can make the changes I believe should be made to fix this intersection please.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lon=145.13110&lat=-37.89342&layers=997&zoom=5&segments=187269469,187269468,282375878,282375887,282375884,282375868,186582615,186582616,282375874,282375873,282375886,282375877,282375885,282375883,282375875,282375867,282375872,282375871,275319919,275319924,275319926,275319620

Wow, more than I thought. I do see the point in simplicity, but, I’d really like to see if the changes I wish to make, will work as I believe they will and should and once it’s done, if it works, it shouldn’t need to be touched again with any luck!

Troy.

I was previously a little stubborn about the whole dual carriageways and mapping every slip lane thing in Waze, but i’ve now well and truly hopped on board the simplicity train! Easier to maintain the map and still gives the same result when navigating. I’ve gone ahead and simplified the intersection.
’

I’ve been there also

Maybe thats how we all start?

This is setup perfectly, it still enables the TTS telling you what direction on Forster Rd that you’re heading and the on and off ramps shouldn’t say, “Turn Right, then Turn RIght”

Well done Luke, definitely better than what I was going to try. :smiley: