Level4→L2 Unlock: Sunderland - Doxford Park (B1286 - City Wa

My Level: 2
Reason for request: Speed Limit

Permalink

Downlocked.

Also the adjacent ramps. I know some people disagree, but I like to see speed limits on ramps and roundabouts too.

Ian

So for that section I was happy to make the dual carriage way 70, So would you set the roundabout to the right to 60?
Same for the ramp onto the A19, I agree these need speed limits as you want to get upto the correct speed so do you set them to the road speed eg 70 for the A19 or technically are they only 60mph?

For roundabouts, I think we shouldn’t get too hung up on the legal limit. Whoever heard of a speed trap on a roundabout anyway? I think the objective should be to minimise the flickering of the speed limit sign on the app. Bear in mind too that the app speed lags, so that while actually on the roundabout it will probably show the speed set for the approach road, and it will likely show the roundabout speed for the first few yards of the exit road. :frowning:

In the absence of any explicit signage, I set the speed limit on the roundabout to that of the highest permitted speed of a complete route through it. In this example, if the roundabout had “unrestricted” dual carriageways each side, I’d set it to 70. But this one has only a single carriageway on one side, so I’d make the roundabout 60 too.

For entry ramps, the driver needs to merge with traffic on the road being joined, and so may need to get up to the speed of that road. It therefore seems nonsensical to me to have a lower speed on an entry ramp.

For exit ramps, there would be something to be said for setting them to the (often lower) speed of the road or roundabout at the end of the ramp. Except that drivers will want to use the whole ramp for deceleration without getting annoying bleeps from the app. Since graduating a speed reduction all along the ramp would be impractical, in the absence of any explicit signage, I set exit ramps to the main road speed too.

Where this means a “national speed limit” of 60 or 70 for a ramp, I regard a one-way ramp as a dual carriageway and so 70. But if the entry and exit ramps merge to form a single-carriageway road, then drop to 60.

Ian

I think I understood you correct if you want to have a quick check then lock that be great thanks :slight_smile:

Looks good. Think L2 is high enough lock for this road.
Ian