Metro-North "Object in Road" alert

Hey all;

Do we have a CCP liaison who could request that Metro-North remove some or all of the Hazard Reports they’ve dropped at their RR Xings?

Here’s the latest UR I’ve fielded, the location of the crossing, and the Live Map showing their Hazard report

In addition to it now being redundant, there’s a comment in the report “Railroad Crossing Don’t Turn Onto Tracks”. I believe a driver is more likely to be distracted trying to read that while driving (I was tempted), than to turn onto the tracks, so the Hazard Report becomes its own hazard

I’ve passed it along. Thanks

Followup in new location with the same problem

This is another instance of the old Maybrook Line, which is being converted into a “Rail with Trail” called the Maybrook Trailway. Following the guidance previously given at another crossing of the same tracks, I’m leaving the Waze RR Xing in place, and have explained the reasoning in response to multiple URs on Joes Hill Rd. The reporter obviously reads my replies, but never responds, except by indirectly reference in each successive report. I try to treat each as a new and unique report, but that’s getting old

I believe we could reduce some of these reports here, and up and down the Maybrook Line from Brewster to southern Dutchess, by eliminating the redundant Metro-North Hazards. As a Wazer, the “Not There” button doesn’t work for these permanent nuisances, and there’s no button for “There is no Object in Road, just a RR Xing that Waze is already alerting me to”

The MTA obviously feels They benefitted from our ‘partnership’ by having been able to post all of their CYA Hazards, (even in places where WME doesn’t have a crossing), but I would be more inclined to block them and remove their bogus entries, than to lose all of the Wazers who can’t selectively turn off the MTA alerts, and are TRYING to tell us that there’s something wrong

Open GE URs in my EA (7 of 41 total):

Joes Hill Rd 2
NY-216
NY-292
NY-216 #2
NY-216 #3
Turn off NY-292
Seaman Rd
These may not ALL be about RR Xings, but there’s a pattern

Here’s a helpful Hazard Report (to read at 55mph +) about an overpass on the Sawmill River Parkway:

"[i]Hazard On Road
Saw Mill River Pkwy N
Upcoming bridge has a minimum vertical clearance of 12.83 feet

Reported by Metro-NorthRailroad
311 days ago[/i]"

which might be the motivation for this UR

Exactly this. I didn’t realize there was a NY forum for Waze when I put in the UR. These MNRR hazards are an extreme nuisance since I pass either the one on the Saw Mill or something on the Maybrook line daily and it dips my radio each time.

Because I can see this is an ongoing issue now, I marked the URs as resolved.

Thanks, we will pass these along to the CCP.

There was another report for the same overpass here. There have been several URs in the past that I have dealt with regarding this overpass and the confusing alert. Thanks for passing along the information, Dan.

I’m glad there is a topic on this already, it drives me nuts. I cross the “tracks” multiple times on my commutes, these alerts are annoying and can’t be disabled without disabling all object on road notifications.

What really annoys me is some like this one, where the train tracks are on an overpass so there is no intersection with the road, but it still alerts. https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=usa&lon=-73.62455&lat=41.48898&s=70360341&zoom=8&segments=519627674

I’ve tried tweaking it in hopes that adjusting the elevations would stop triggering it, but it does not.

Also like mentioned above, some of these tracks have been converted to walking paths so they are effectively dead and should not alert.

The elevation has nothing to do with the alerts, unfortunately these are being issued by the MTA, a Waze CCP partner. We are in the process of trying to address these nuisance alerts but it’s not as simple as it sounds.

I have another instance of a confusing hazard on road report regarding an overpass height in Port Chester, NY. I know that you guys are in the process of addressing these alerts, but I figured that I would pass it along your way. Perhaps we should create a spreadsheet with the locations of these alerts (if one has not already been created)?