[New Wiki] Hospitals and Urgent Care Clinics

Exactly. I even state it in the wiki page with a link. The issue is that no one knows there is a Places/USA wiki page.

It will be ER - Hospital Name. Spelling it out could end up cutting out the name in search results.

I believe this has been misinterpreted. Maybe if there was more clarification and specified it did not have to be a 24/7 facility to qualify. As long as the name on the building says urgent care it would qualify.

Urgent care facilities are not necessarily called such. We have clinics near us called “Doctor’s Care” that I’m pretty sure are an Urgent Care-level facility. At least, that’s what their website claims.

From Wikipedia:

Exactly. It’s not the fact that people don’t know that urgent care should apply. It’s that people have disagreements on what qualifies as urgent care. Some clarification to the introduction could be enough:

Properly mapping hospitals is important to routing and for proper search results. This wiki will cover how to map a hospital, urgent care clinic, place the stop point at the appropriate location, and how to name them. In the US, any health care provider that practices emergency services or urgent care, regardless of hours, should follow the directions below.

Edit for comma addition.

What we need is a wider array of choices when it comes to place points. Google maps has most urgent care facilities listed as a Medical Clinic. It’s frustrating to have to shoehorn a place into a category that doesn’t fit all the requirements. A person searching for a hospital isn’t necessarily looking for an urgent care clinic and vice versa.

I agree that the hours of operation is vital. There’s nothing more frustrating than getting to a place, only to find it’s closed. (Especially if your hand is bleeding from a deep gash) It’s easy enough to call ahead, but when looking for some emergence care, one is not always thinking too straight.

“ER - <hospital name>”
There are a few reasons for this:

  • you don’t want the band to be so long the hospital Name gets cut off on the search results
  • Many users will search for an ER by typing “ER” in the search, this will then show all the nearby ERs in the auto complete list. (Typing “er” and pressing search returns a category search result listing all places with the hospital category)
  • When searching through the list of results we want to make sure it’s immediately obvious which are the ERs, and we don’t want the “ER” to be cut off the name in the result list, so therefore ER goes before the hospital name.
  • A search for that hospital name will list several results all with the same name (for any associated places like parking etc. Having the differentiator first (ER, Parking, Ambulatory Care, etc.) Will allow a user to pick the correct result.

When mapping Hospitals, if there’s a separate ER entrance accessed by driving to a different end point than for the regular ER entrnace, eg for ambulance only (there often is), I map that with a separate place named “ER Ambulance Entrance - <hospital name>”.

The same goes for specialty ERs eg Psychiatric ER, Pediatric ER, etc. I’ll use “ER Pediatric - <hospital name>”.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

That used to be the case, but with the changes in health plans, ie high deductible plans, people are shopping for the best price. A couple of years ago, I wouldn’t hesitate to head to the ER for a major bleeding cut. Now, I favor the Urgent care because the wait time is usually shorter and the bill is significantly less. Besides, urgent care clinics don’t have as many sick people sitting around, spreading germs. :slight_smile:

I think with a little clarification the proposed guidelines make perfect sense.
For example I did the places for both Avera and Sanford hospitals in Sioux Falls, SD. Haven’t really seen any UR’s based on these edits.
I did the whole campus as “Hospital” with that entrance placed at the regular, non emergency, entrance to the hospital. A point place was then made, also Hospital for the ER entrance.
All urgent care facilities marked as “Hospital” regardless of hours. I feel that the way it is being used now the category indicates ‘emergency care’, and while an ER should be used for life threatening issues and Urgent Care for non-life threatening they BOTH deal with emergencies, its just the severity that differs.

My only suggestion would to POSSIBLY create a new category somehow so that one is STRICTLY for Emergency Departments and Urgent care facilities. And a new one that is for general medical care. Obviously the ER category would be emphasized like it currently is.
IMO setting a general medical facility as “office” rather than “Hospital/Medical Care” is not intuitive at all.

Thank you PZ and Fredo for the information on ER naming.

First pretty good start,
IRT the Urgent Care not open 24/7 just make sure the hours are posted in the area.

Other comments

  1. Is there a reason that you can’t use an aerial photo or SV to map the hospital for section 1? I know the ways currently listed are preferred but why make someone drive to remote hospital where there aren’t editors?

  2. I would change Chapter 1 to Adding a Hospital or Urgent Care. Currently don’t list much for hospital. Nothing listed under Urgent Care. Then the subsections of Chapter 2 become subsections of Chapter 1

  3. Urgent Care instructions need a bold heading like Campus, Buildings, and Hospital

  4. Make the Emergency Rooms similar to Campus, Buildings, and Hospital (Delete the “Mapping” and make same font as Campus

  5. Have the first sentence as a stand alone paragraph. The second sentence is start of second paragraph. That way place point stands out (I would also BOLD the words place point in CAPS i.e. POINT PLACE

  6. Next paragraph should read “… emergency or trauma centers” i.e. delete the two extra commas after emergency and trauma.

  7. Treat the “map the building as an Area” similar to 5 above. AREA PLACE

  8. Stop Points. Some Hospitals have main entrance on the front by street that has the HN, but there is another main entrance coming from the parking lot. Which do you consider THE main entrance? I recommend that you discuss this in the stop point section.

  9. Naming section is empty. Recommend listing many different names conventions, like if Hospital is named after person; example: First Middle Last Hosptial, then also list FM Last Hospital, Last Hospital, F. M. Last Hospital, etc.

It’s a work in progress. I didn’t finish it yet. I want to get the discussion going so final text could be entered vs having to update it over time.

We’ve been asking for better/more categories since before Places debuted. It is not something staff have agreed to. [emoji22]

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

Did you mean something else here? Are and point are two opposite types of place.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

Yes area place
Now that I am back on a computer, I edited it above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would amend that slightly, because pretty much any doctor will address a walk-in emergency, and to clarify the “hours” portion so it can’t be read as requiring 24/7:

“In the US, any (human) health care provider that practices emergency services or urgent care as a primary function of their business, regardless of their operating hours…”

I also propose “human” be referenced somewhere, because we’ve all seen the emergency vet places marked inappropriately…

Let’s not nuke the hell out of this. It should already be assumed that urgent health care centers/clinics are for humans. We don’t need to spell everything out.

Haha, I found an emergency 24/7 vet center today marked as a hospital. Needless to say it was changed to veterinary services.

Regarding Vet centers, there should have already been notation in the places/usa wiki to not mark vet centers as hospitals. This needs to be done and I will alert the wiki crew.