I drive for Uber and in is important that the route to a particular destination is the most direct and quickest. Over the past few weeks I have noticed that more and more I am directed to service roads or side streets to get to the destination when there is no issue with the main roads (no traffic issues). The service roads are a nuisance because it directs me to take the service road route then back onto the main road 500 metres + further on. To get to a main road it will more often than not take me on a scenic tour using side streets, constant left and right turns where this can easily be avoided by continuing directly ahead and make turns at major intersections. This I would have thought be the quickest and shortest route to take.
I have tried this by looking at the projected route and noticing a more direct way to get to where I need to go. I have always saved time and distance by doing this but it is annoying when I need to do this every time. As an example, I picked up some passengers in Spring St, Melbourne CBD to take them to Grange Rd, Carnegie. It automatically directed me to turn into Flinders St and proceed down StKilda Rd. Now I once worked in this area so I naturally assumed it would direct me to Punt Rd and then onto the M1. But no, I was to take the scenic tour. The Punt Rd option saved me both time and Kms travelled. Is this a bug in the software or is this the norm when using Waze?