Routing Out Of The Way

Routing from Ruidoso NM to Dallas TX. Starting out on US 70 / US 380 East to Roswell NM. At Roswell, Waze should take US 380 east to Post TX and meet US 84. I took this route last February and it routed correctly.

However, Waze routes me on US 70 towards Clovis NM and then to Lubbock TX and then to Post TX on US 84.

This ends up being about 1 1/2 - 2 hours out of the way.

If I create the route from Dallas to Ruidoso, it takes the same incorrect route.

I changed the start point to Roswell, and it routes correctly on US 380.

Could it be a routing problem when the two highways (US 70 / US 380) separate?

Thanks for your help,

Joe Freeman

I changed the start point to just west of Roswell and Waze incorrectly routed on US 70 towards Clovis.

If I ask for a route from Ruidoso, NM to Post, TX, this is what I get: https://www.waze.com/livemap?zoom=17&lat=33.19093&lon=-101.3782&from_lat=33.36725&from_lon=-105.65885&to_lat=33.19093&to_lon=-101.37819

RuidosotoPost.png

So if I understand correctly, the question is why does waze prefer the 313 mile, 4 h 50 min route over the 262 mile, 4 h 11 min route?

You are correct! Why does it prefer that route? I have driven this route from Dallas to Ruidoso and back several times and this is the first time it Waze took that route.

I don’t know why waze prefers this route. Waze can prefer routes with more reliable times, but this is a fairly significant time difference to override.

Can anything be done to resolve this problem?

I’ll see if the waze routing people can look at it.

Thanks - I appreciate the help!

I’ve been told that it’s a long route issue. There’s a fix, now it’s waiting to be deployed which will take some time.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to the fix.

I tried it with the setting set for shortest route instead of fastest and got the correct result. This maybe a work around till the issue is resolved.

So I have received more information from the waze routing team. Waze continues to avoid routing on US-380 between Ruidoso, NM and Post, TX (for me waze no longer even provides US-380 as an alternate). The current result is due to pruning. Waze states that the route is long enough that the minor highways are penalized. Because US-380 is set to minor highway and there other freeway/major highway alternatives, waze is selecting the alternatives.

My understanding is that NM follows the US hybrid FC standards and that US-380 should be major highway in NM. However, as Texas does not follow the US guidance, it appears that routing like this will remain an issue.

Even before I got to the post above I suspected pruning. This exact phenomenon used to happen in my area before we implemented FC. The fastest route by far to San Jose involved a heavily-traveled commute shortcut that had been mapped as Primary Street, while meanwhile a twisty mountain road nearby happened to be a State Highway and so was mapped as Minor Highway.

As soon as the total trip became long enough, pruning at the Waze routing servers effectively “disappeared” the Primary Street. The servers would basically forget it existed. Drivers were consequently routed down the twisty mountain road instead, adding about a half hour to the trip.

When we implemented FC and raised the commute shortcut to a Minor Highway, the problem went away.