Speed Cameras - How to handle the new Jenoptik Vector SR

Apologies if this has been discussed already (I checked and couldn’t see anything) but in my local area they appear to be replacing the tired old Gatso and Truvelo cameras with the new Jenoptik Vector SR units.

https://www.jenoptik.co.uk/product/vector-sr/

I believe they can do a host of things like red light monitoring, ANPR etc but also speed and even average speed between two of them if configured.

The reason for my post is that these units seem to be able to carry out their duties over multiple lanes and in multiple directions. So one Jenoptik can theoretically replace 2 Gatso cameras on either side of the road (I think).

Where I am they have taken the 2 of the Truvelos away, there was one on each side of the road, and installed a single Vector SR - it’s cleaner on the roadside but will it lead to people unaware of these reporting that there is no camera at that location in one direction when Waze warns them?

Additionally where there was once one camera marked does the introduction of these mean we now have to consider adding another for the other side?

If so is it OK to add both camera in the same place but rotate one of them to show the detection is in the other direction?

Most are locked to level 6 so I can’t do any removals etc so I’ve left things as they are currently but each time I pass I wonder about this.

The issue is it’s hard to know how these new ones are configured, there are sensors on the poles to suggest when multidirectional capabilities are in use but there’s no way to tell if average speed is being enforced unless signs go up (presumably this would be a legal requirement?).

I presume this stuff is discussed at a higher level when these new technologies come onto the scene but I was curious to know is we, as editors, are supposed to do anything or if Waze will be informed by local authorities and I shouldn’t worry?

Thanks for letting us know.

Surely the cameras would still need to point in both directions? The example shows two cameras , although these appear to point one direction in the image.

I would suggest adding one for each direction as we currently have for those cameras that can be turned 180 degrees.

These would only be locked at L6 if the last person to add or adjust it was a L6.

As said above, yes, you just need to map 2 cameras to ensure Waze alerts in both directions.

We don’t currently have a seperate camera type for multi-use cameras, if they are located at a stop line and expected to enforce red light infringement, they should be mapped as a RLC only, and the speed set to zero.

The lock levels are a legacy thing, cameras are auto locked to the level of the last edit to map / edit them. You’ll have to request unlocks in the Editor Request Forum.

It is very rare for Local Authorities to inform Waze of anything, editor’s own research is the main source of data. I do believe any average speed check must have appropriate signage, the info page you link to suggests this type is not used for average speed check.