Please refer to the new US Speed Limit Guidelines
The advisory speed is not the speed at which a curve is built to be taken, but general advice for all vehicles. Unlike speed limit signs, which may or may not be present as one enters a road, advisory speed signs always immediately precede the hazard so we would be doing nothing but alerting them to the sign they’re currently passing (and maybe even distracting them with beeping as they’re about to negotiate a curve).
There’s no need for dictionary definitions here. The speed limit should be taken from the sign that says “speed limit”.
I definitely see it from both sides of the gear shift. Either way, I’ve heard and seen so many differing opinions on the yellow signage that I think that a guideline needs to come down so we can all do this correctly. No matter the outcome. Correct and consistent.
There are a few topics on speed limits in the wiki forum, although I don’t see the topic of advisory signs being discussed on a quick look through. I do know I’ve heard it discussed before and it seems the conclusion has always been that since the yellow speed signs are not enforceable on their own, they do not change the speed limit. I would also point out that we cannot keep every driver safe in every situation, having and using a navigational aide is in no way a substitute for the driver being alert and aware of their surroundings; in fact, the terms of use that every user must agree to states this fact. Right now, since there isn’t a national/global standard, I would suggest you defer to your SM(s) and/or RC for a definitive answer, so that you’re at least consistent across your state.
Speed Limits are the maximum speed allowed.
It is the driver’s responsibility to select a safe speed that is at or below the speed limit.
In the US the white signs are enforceable and the yellow are advisory.
There are times when an interstate posted at 55-80 mph is only safe to travel at 5 mph due to snow/ice, accident, or just traffic congestion.
Just like there is no way to put in a variable speed limit for school zones, you put in the posted speed limit. For ramps you can leave as blank for now till more definitive guidance is promulgated.
A similar situation exists when people think that a left turn is too hard or too dangerous to make. If the user does not like it they can choose their own route and Waze will notice the difference and calculate a new route based on their position and destination.
In reference to Crazycaveman’s response, above I think two other of your Virginia State Managers responded to you in the GHO prior to your posting here.
I have acknowledged what was said and will begin to go back and correct my technical errors with the advisory signs. However, it does not help anyone else that might be doing the same that doesn’t know exactly where (via notes) they had those changes. I am sure I am not the only person in the country who has marked advisory signages. I also don’t think Ramps have speed limits as of current, so it was more based on turns and curves.
I still would like to see some form of wiki based guidance come down on it so it can be disseminated.
Either way, it would be nice to be able to have something to cite on the topic.
Hi. Thanks for the links there. I read through fairly diligently and saw nothing from anyone on this matter. More of them are arguing over roundabouts which I am sure is a UK thing. I’ve heard talks from higher ups discussing up, but my problem is; I’m a level 2? How would I know what the discussion is because I’m not part of it. I’ve begun clean up based on the Virginia discussion, but I still think guidance on this needs to be made. Since it seems the consensus is white over yellow with regard to signage, I could help write this if asked. But having information locked in higher channels without issuing guidance helps me none.
I am sure I am not the only person who has used advisory signs.
Thanks!
If you feel up to writing a page, go for it! That’s what the wiki forum is there for. You can type up your proposed page (or section of a page) in your userspace and then ask in there for comments and to help get things up-to-date in the wiki. I know what you mean about not being privy to discussions from higher ranking editors; there’s a topic in the SM forum about SLs, but not much has happened there lately. Like I said before, if you’re up to getting the discussion going again, post to one of those threads I linked to and see if you can help get it finished up
You could post a topic in the app feature request forum or onto the waze uservoice page for an advisory limit warning separate from the speed limit. As long as the option is able to be turned off, I wouldn’t mind it. However, I have no clue how feasible that would be or how popular a feature that would be.
So my understanding is that the app will eventually provide information regarding your speed relative to the speed limit and provide an alert when your speed is fast relative to the speed limit. I don’t think the intention is to have that baseline speed jump down every time you pass a hazard with an advisory speed. I’m guessing that’s not what most user’s would want or expect.
I do agree that we should have some national guidance on this issue posted somewhere.
I think I am going to draft a proposed guidance for it with the assistance of some of the VA guys. Hopefully I should get it for state consideration shortly.
Ill follow up soon.
Ok the National Guidance for USA Speed Limits is posted and makes this thread OBE.