URs on I-66 HOV, I-395 HOV, I-95/I-395 Express Lanes

Waze is getting close on the HOV and Express Lane testing

San Francisco and Israel have the first round of testing.

Northern Virginia will be part of the second round of testing.

So please do not change any HOV/Express Lane Segments or the regular ones that run parallel without coordinating with me (Subs5) first. Reason for this is staff wants to collect data and see the results even if it causes some errors for a bit.

Please post any URs in this forum topic so that we can collect them in one spot.

Post the date and time of the UR. Also post a PL and the verbiage of their report and/or answer.

If possible find out if they were private vehicle or taxi. Thanks.

:smiley:

I-66 Westbound: Waze was directing me to the “I-66 HOV lane” at around 2 PM this afternoon. HOV westbound doesn’t exist until 3 PM Mon-Fri and runs until 7 PM.

In a related note, looks like they’re gearing up for the addition of express lanes in both directions on I-66 from the beltway out to Gainesville. They call the project “Transforming 66 - Outside the Beltway”. I have a drone business on the side and I’ve been invited to attend an informational meeting tomorrow with VDOT and the contractors regarding aerial photography services during construction. There’s a video that goes into the nitty gritty of the work here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=124&v=vJsjwhci7Ik

Since Friday Sept. 8, Waze has been directing me to avoid the 95/395 express lanes going North in the mornings (between 7:15-8:00 am) even though they’re open and running fine. It looks like Waze thinks they’re running South, because when I use them, instead of acknowledging that I’m in the express lanes and recalculating the distance, it keeps telling me U-turn. I don’t usually take them in the afternoon, so I don’t know what the behavior is at that time.

The HOV lane is open to all during non-HOV hours. It was legal for you to travel on them. Basically what Waze is saying that the left lane that is isolated by the double white line is faster than the other regular lanes.

Thanks you can share information, the more sources the better.
FYI, we also have some VDOT contacts that are keeping us informed both on the outside the beltway extension that you mention and the inside the beltway change to HOT/Express Lanes in December.

Do you have avoid tolls selected in your settings? Also if you select routes does it show them as an alternate route? It could be there is not really a time savings, it was routing me on them this weekend.

The Express Lanes are set up for the coming HOV feature.

Definitely did not have the “avoid toll roads” setting on, and while there may have been little difference on Friday, the express lane time savings would have been significant on Monday. Besides, in either case, once I was in the lanes it would usually update and recalculate, rather than constantly telling me to exit via what were currently entrance ramps.

Thanks for the reply, since it recalculated and used the Express Lanes it is saying that it is properly set up for northbound direction. Unfortunately we can’t recreate the exact traffic that was sensed at the start of your trip on Monday to see why it was not recommending the Express Lanes.

Out of curiosity was it just avoiding the southern most entrance and saying to get on further north?

It did not recalculate telling me to use the Express Lanes once it realized I was in them. Since Friday, if I take the Express Lanes going North in the morning, instead of recalculating, it constantly directs me to (illegally and dangerously) exit the Express Lanes via the ramps which are currently being used by traffic to enter the lanes.

The directions did not recommend getting on the Express Lanes further North. The lanes were not offered as an option at all, even in the alternate routes.

Where do you typically enter the Express Lanes, and which exits was Waze telling you to get off at?

Here is a UR on not being routed onto the Express Lanes with the new restrictions.

I get on at Horner Road–exit 158. It tells me to exit at every ramp after that–123, Lorton, etc, updating as I pass each one.

I’m not sure about it being “faster” during non HOV hours other than the people traveling 75-80 MPH in a 55 MPH zone tend to use the far left (i.e. HOV) lane. :roll: The other lanes were all moving fine as well (all averaging 60-65 MPH).

Most people would consider 75 faster than 65, no one says you have to go that, but you did ask Waze to get you there fastest based on settings, so it is just trying to do what was requested. After a few more days of collecting speed it should be more accurate.

After you pass all of the southbound exits does it ask you to exit the Express Lanes up by Fairfax County Parkway and the I-495 area?

Yes, it keeps directing me to get off at every ramp until somewhere in Arlington–near the Pentagon, I think. Honestly, I’m ignoring it by then. I can take note and tell you more specifically tomorrow or Thursday if it’s still behaving that way.

Also next time it occurs please submit a update request and if possible the logs at the end of your drive. Finally if you post the date and time will have the staff looking for it to determine the cause.

Not my experience, just relaying from elsewhere…

https://www.reddit.com/r/waze/comments/6znsho/waze_no_longer_providing_toll_routes/?st=j7i08ny0&sh=a214a770