Civil Parishes vs Villages in the "City" field

I have a question about how to use / fix the “City” field on roads and businesses. I’ve read the guidelines I promise! I know there’s a form for renaming cities, but it appears geared towards spelling mistakes, and I’m not sure it applies here.

I have 2 examples, one where my family live and one where I live:

Example 1: Boundary between Kiveton Park and Wales drawn too far east.

Kiveton Park is in the civil parish of Wales which is the neighboring village and the two villages are hard up against each other.

map link

Waze has the boundary running down Chestnut Ave (highlighted), and I think that this might be technically and historically correct. However in practical terms, everyone considers that Kiveton goes up to the end of Wales Rd and Wales starts where it becomes School Rd. That’s how all the postal addresses work (except, obscurely, the Whitelea Garage).

North / South along Church St / Manor Rd things are more muddled but broadly Wales on the west side of the street, Kiveton on the east.

You can confirm all this by looking at local businesses. E.g. Wales High School lists itself on Storth Lane, Kiveton Park, Waze has it on Storth Lane, Wales.

Does technical correctness trump postal addresses? I would imagine the latter are more useful for navigation purposes.

Example 2: Smaller villages in the civil parish of Hatfield

Waze doesn’t go down to the village level here. So this Dominos (along with another business I was about to add) is in Dunscroft.

map link

Waze has the street address as Station Rd, Hatfield. Its actual address is Station Rd, Dunscroft, Hatfield and its branch name is “Doncaster - Dunscroft”.

This is an astonishingly long-winded way of asking are these places right or wrong? And if they’re wrong what’s the correct way to fix them? I could, I guess, do it by hand but maybe there’s an easier way, and also there are bound to be roads I can’t fix at my current level (2).

You can request new city names here, or more appropriate would be the Editor Request Forum.

As Dunscroft is listed in the Gazetteer I have added this and you will need to manually change the correct segments(you can select all segments of the same name by selecting a single segment and then Control + A keys, be aware this can select segments off your current view also.

Please review this car park, you have mapped it with no name but added a description, it should instead be named as Co-op Car Park as all car parks should be named so they can be identified in the app.

As with Wales & Kiverton Park, simply change the city name to reflect the correct boundary. We would like a nice road sign saying ‘Welcome to…’ as a boundary, I would’ve thought postal address would be be the more appropriate mapping when things are muddled as this is the best reference.

Please also be aware that we can map segment junction with a deliberate dog-leg, which doesn’t match the images perfectly, to ensure Waze gives correct instructions at junction.

Thank you. In retrospect, I should have just applied for mentoring :slight_smile:

Feel free to badger, I mean ask Ianinessex, our current Mentor, as there is no set start or duration for mentoring.