How should the Highway type classify in HK?

There is report from user with suggestion on highway color(road type for editors I guess). May be because of pedestrian side walk with the freeway.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lon=114.18073&lat=22.33303&layers=1927&zoom=4&segments=280169651,280169647,280168658,280168663,280168661,280169667,280169668,280169521,143508525,141275332,143223876,138072281,143160578,143164036,143164054,286333849,286333848,286333850,262907240,280169082,262907239,280169061,180210770&mapUpdateRequest=5838342&mapProblemFilter=0&mapUpdateRequestFilter=0&venueFilter=1

I have been wonder if there is any guideline for the convention for HK highway?

I believe only the major route should be mark as freeway.

Reference from the Gov data on major routes
http://www.td.gov.hk/mini_site/hksrens/2008/EN/RouteMapM.htm

唔係好睇得明添…

好感動,有人睇。

其實想問點決定邊條路 set 做 highway 同點決定 set 咩highway type

I believe Editot can answer your query. Just for your interest, this thread is something related to this topic.

除左用政府既幹線圖,或者用埋速度去區別~~

我同意,但是準則係咩?

Someone did suggest to use speed limit to define road type in Mainland China but I’m a bit hesitate to do this.
Btw, I think it is time to put the speed limit on every segments :wink:

tsemanhei! You totally misunderstood me! You clearly do not know the definition of “freeway”. Actually, my report of Waterloo Rd was MADE WORSE. Whether or not a road should be a freeway should be based on whether it is a controlled access highway or not. FOR WATERLOO RD IN KOWLOON TONG, it should not be marked as freeway because it has INTERSECTIONS WITH TRAFFIC LIGHTS. See wiki:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled-access_highway

Just because it is a Hong Kong Route does not mean it is a freeway, unlike the motorway designation in the UK.

Also, many Hong Kong Routes aren’t up to expressway standards. For example, Lung Cheung Rd is only a quasi-expressway, because it has bus stops not separated from the main road and has some properties that are only accessible from it, such as where it meets Lung Chi Path. Having a sidewalk does not affect freeway status as long as there are no pedestrian crosswalks. tsemanhei should look overseas and see that many bridges have sidewalks, yet are marked as freeways because the sidewalk is separated from the main road, the same goes with Lung Cheung Road as it has a steel railing.

However, Luncg Cheung Rd SHOULD still be marked as a freeway as it has no traffic lights and is high speed, so as to convenience drivers.
Here is the list of roads the TD officially classifies as freeways: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/traffic_notices/index_id_44317.html

Roads that are not officially designated as expressways by the TD but are up to expressway standards should be marked as freeways too. Tsing Yi North Coastal Rd, Tsing Tsuen Road, and Ma On Shan Bypass should be marked as freeways.

The worst mistake that tsemanhei made was downgrading the OFFICIAL expressway Sha Lek Hwy (although not in the list, please check in street view) to a major highway.

http://www.gld.gov.hk/egazette/pdf/20101448/egn201014487570.pdf

I am some what agree with your point. However, I have seen User Report about the colour of the route isn’t what they are expecting (i.e. colour of freeway).

If I step into the shoes of the user, if it isn’t bugging me why should I waste my time to write up a long report.

Hong Kong is full of exceptions, but for the best user experience, I strongly believe we should do the right things and not just follow standard to do things right.

Please feel free to comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, you should tell the other users what the definition of “freeway” is, and not change the road type to freeway if it does not meet freeway standards. Since Waze is WORLDWIDE, consistency is important. So, I think it is better to follow what other countries do.

Another example: interstate highways usually mean freeway, but not always. Look at Interstate 180 in Cheyenne. It is NOT marked as freeway.

Sign, this topic is somewhat I’m asking for a long time since 2015 and no one, especially Editot, who is named by leocylau, answer me for the standard they are using.

I somewhat agree with YouTube00crashtest, that the road types should consistency with other countries, and have done a lot of changes on the roads like Waterloo road, Sha Lek Highway, etc. too. However, Editot will revert the changes back to his standard, and lock the roads.

So disappointed that the major editor only edit himself and not discussing with others on this community map.

Hi all,
Nice to see everyone to take this seriously. It is a good sign but please to be gentle when there is some disagreement. Try to compromise with majority if it doesn’t really affect navigation.
Anyway, I have a feeling that Waterloo Rd has been defined as ‘Freeway’ because of the road shield? I can’t recall that but hope that Editot can give us some input.
In my own opinion, I’ll keep Waterloo Rd as Freeway.
Cheers,
Leo

Perhaps not many editors are reading this forum, but given that we have three types of highways in WME (minor highway, major highway, freeway), may I suggest the following classification?

  • All official expressways are marked as freeway

  • All roads with road shield numbers but not expressways (regardless of speed limit) are marked as major highway (including Waterloo Rd even though it has speed limit 50km/h)

  • All roads without road shield numbers but with speed limit >= 70km/h are marked as minor highway (including Castle Peak Rd between Tsuen Wan and Tuen Mun, Tai Po Rd, Tsing Yi N Coastal Road)

  • Other roads with 50km/h or below, should be classified at street level. If editor believes that it is a trunk road with significant traffic, classify it as primary street (e.g. Nathan Road, King’s Rd). I can’t think of a more clearer guidelines so this is up to discretion of the editor.

  • Everything else, just street.

The above is just my personal thought. Feel free to suggest some other ways to classify them. I’m open to opinions.

No doubt no one will disagree this :wink:

Again, I have a feeling that Road Shield only works with freeway type. I hope Editot can clarify that. But I’m testing it here. Just to wait for the tile update.

I’m in between agree and disagree but I’m OK with it.

  • Other roads with 50km/h or below, should be classified at street level. If editor believes that it is a trunk road with significant traffic, classify it as primary street (e.g. Nathan Road, King’s Rd). I can’t think of a more clearer guidelines so this is up to discretion of the editor.
    Yes, it is OK. More busy road should be PS but it depends on local ppl how to define it. In term of routing, S & PS has no difference and just only have visual differences in the app and WME. So it is not necessary to change what we have already done.

Agree with you, no need to change PS to S or vice versa if it makes no difference in routing. My main focus is to downgrade some mH to PS, mainly for better voice guidance. Junctions from a highway type (FW, MH, mH) to ramp or street type (PS, S) with junction angle <45 degrees will result in “exit left” instructions instead of “keep left”. I don’t know how much this downgrade action would affect routing though, as you said PS are treated the same as S. Surely Waze gives better weighting to and would prefer to use a highway, but I hope it also use past Wazer’s data to determine whether a route is faster or not.

For examples: Permalink and Permalink. The at-grade connectors following these mH segments has “exit left” instruction but it would be more appropriate if it is “keep left” instead?

On the other hand, in the context of routing, given PS and S have no difference, I am curious to know, is there any difference among the three highway types (FW, MH, mH)?