L2 editor here. Farnborough Main Railway Station Car Park has been redeveloped so the lower south west car park is now joined to the main car park providing a new access road to the main car park. Please can a level 3 editor connect the A node of the following new section to the main car park road:
New road joined up. I’ve locked it L3 since it is out of line with the aerials.
Car park reshaping approved.
The car park now has two entrances, but (inevitably) only one navigation point. I wonder whether it worth adding point places for the two entrances. Then people could choose between “Rail Station Car Park (west entrance)” and “Rail Station Car park (east entrance)” or similar - local knowledge might enable a better choice of names.
Finally I also wonder about naming the place “Farnborough Rail Station Car…”. If you just search for “Rail Station Car Park”, you’ll potentially get car parks at other stations too. While the address should appear and enable you to select Farnborough from that, it might be easier to put the station name in the place name.
Thanks for the help. I agree with your points and I think it’ll take more work to get it right, so I’m sure I’ll need your help again. I’ll leave the topic open while we work on this.
Another concern is that the station car park is wrapped around a council car park that has nothing to do with the station. I’m worried that the app will try and display the station car park name roughly in the middle of the shape so it might end up over the council car park. I’ll check that as soon as the changes reach the app.
I took a walk around the station car park yesterday before making the changes as I wanted to get a feel for how the flow worked now. I’ll try and walk the car park again over the next few days to get an even better idea of what to do. I think the south west car park used to be referred to as the overflow car park, but as it’s now connected to the rest of the car park that seems to have been dropped. Calling them west and east entrance seems reasonable, but I’d prefer to come back to that after seeing the current updates and routing in the app. I think there is still room for improving the car park roads but again I think we need to wait until the updates reach the app to get a feel for how Waze deals with the routing.
I’ve updated the place name to “Farnborough Main…”. We have two stations in Farnborough (Main and North) so I wanted be clear on which station. One of the best things about Farnborough is that it’s easy to get away from here
It’s always possible to map car parks as point places. Then their names appear on app searches but don’t appear on the map. Some people think this is better anyway.
OK. Yeah, that makes sense. I’ll take whatever advice you give as I’ve still lots to learn. After the updates I think I might turn the council’s Union Street West car park into a point then there won’t be a clash of place names on the display.
I can’t see any way to improve on your suggestions or on the roads within the car park. So, I’ve added the east and west point places as suggested.
I also submitted a change for the name to “Farnborough Main Rail Station Car Park”, but my change has been deleted rather than approved.
Now that we have the east and west point places is it worth moving the navigation point to the centre of the car park so that if someone routes to that it’ll take you in thorough the most convenient entrance depending of whether you are coming from the east or west?
Can’t see the point places, but the editor is funny like that sometimes.
I’ve restored your name for the area place. And moved the navigation point close to the intersection of the routes from the south and east entrances - hopefully that will lead to a sensible choice between them.