Level3→L2 Unlock: Burwood, NSW (A4 - Parramatta Rd)

My Level: 2
Reason for request: Te resolve a soft turn and reverse connection. Also to remove unnecessary nodes.

Permalink

All yours. Consider to simlpify that junction, guess it doesn’t need the splitted turnlanes, think it would work as fine without them

Oh, that’s frustrating. That intersection was working well before the turn lane was added on 25 October.

Yep, that’s a pity…a L3 editor should know better than just adding turn lanes bechause there is a little something visible on the aerial…
In a way he did do the same as a road split…and we have requirements for that, which are not met here.
Also have a look at the GPS layer along A4: there is a bigger seperation than the turn lanes have and it’s working perfectly as a single dual carriageway. What better indication right on the spot, that the simple solution like on Shaftesbury Rd was absolutely enough…
So without a UR or MP there(and the confirmation of B_Carp ;)), there was absolutely no reason for the change…on the contrary, because done improper we now have some failures to fix.

But let’s look at it from the bright side…a nice example for some mentoring :mrgreen:

Agreed. I remember making similar mistakes and complicating a few junctions when I first started, but I quickly learned that particular lesson :wink:

I’ve done a bit of a tidy-up, please double-check I haven’t missed anything :smiley:

Looks great…just couldn’t resist to add the PL to the liquer store… :lol:
All locked up there again.

Also I’d like to keep for the records that I’ve been in contact with the L3 editor and actually there has been an UR which happens to be not visible any more now (not even as a closed one).

Which brings up just one tiny bit of mentoring: don’t jump on a single UR without considering…
Look at it on the other way around: if it’s a fairly heavy used corner and it’s really a big thing you are to have many UR more…so it could be just one personal opinion most other drivers there don’t share. Go for hard facts (i.e. turn not allowed) but be carful with soft issues (i.e. “turn impractical”, “keep right would be appropriate”,…). Always keep in mind, UR can really mean some detective work.

Thanks all for contributing to Waze and making the Oz team even greater :wink:

Hi Caradellino,
Is there any chance that these segments can be locked up to LVl 4, it would just be nice to get some hard data on these turns, the turn is legal, I think you just need to wait for the lights to go red at the Parra/Burwood Rd intersection, (It can take a while which is why Waze loves avoiding crossing Parramatta rd from Burwood Rd Southbound), so that there is a gap in the traffic coming down Parramatta Rd, although it would be much easier if the RMS would put a No Right Turn into Shaftsbury Rd under the Left Turn Only or something like this sign https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.7189299,151.1109657,3a,75.5y,10.52h,80.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRzG1PNTAdDLlThHkaDbGWg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
From memory the right turn lane into Shaftsbury Rd from Parramatta Rd gets the green arrow twice thru a full signal phase at that intersection and you can also turn when it is green for both directions and I’ve been in the car with my dad before and he’s done that left/right in midday weekend traffic. (I thought he was crazy, one of those I don’t know this person moment when growing up) :smiley:
Problem is every few months someone comes along and makes changes to those segments, add lanes etc. as they react to the UR, they’ll be another UR pretty soon, which stuffs up the data, although I agree with the changes made today, the segments between lotus and shaftsbury rd now probably only include straight thru traffic along Parra Rd which averages around 50Km/h. for the next few weeks. It just sucks anyone coming from the Concord/Breakfast Point area is given probably the 2 hardest left/right combos in Sydney as the top 2 route selection when heading across Parramatta Rd.
The left/right combo from Coles/Wentworth on another hand would just be almighty difficult @ anytime of the day, but as Coles St hasn’t been played around with since January, I’ve noticed Waze knows that route takes longer for the most part of today than taking Broughton St.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lon=151.10254&lat=-33.86857&layers=900&zoom=5&segments=296308127,296308129,296308130,273103292,273103290,296308131,264417054,272966420,272966419,262421885,262421886,272971698,148959096

It’s a funny turn. You can’t do it when it’s green as the traffic is moving too fast. You can’t do it when it’s red because the turn lane is banked back past the intersection you’re entering from. You have to go when it’s been green & just gone red, before the red light traffic builds up, while the preceding traffic light to the west along Parramatta Rd is changing phases. It’s an impossible combination in peak time, but doable for the brave in off peak & very doable late at night.

Theoretically it is of course possible to lock it up, even to L6, but I fear it won’t help, maybe the next well meaning will again try to fix a similar UR and requesting an unlock…which one not aware of this topic might grant. I would even count me in, you can’t keep track of a whole continent (and a bit more), so I might have forgotten by then.
So I’d rather keep in on L3, which is despite the no longer automatic the level we give to appointed AM (just not if an area is given to increase editing range). There is a bigger chance a local AM remembers the detail of this situation.

Believe it or not, in maintening an mature map neiter SM, CM, nor global champs but the AM are the most important editors. Our locking system is based on that, leaving allmost everthing accessible for the L3 editor, just freeways are protected L5, due to their impact of a failure. I might use the opportunity to emphasise that we recently changed a small detail in locking policy and defined all ramps to L3 thus also handing the freeway ramps (or ramps to extremly important Hwy that might be locked to a higher level) over to the AM level.

What will help is a planned message box in the WME, where an editor can leave information like this right on the spot. Back in the old days we used the then unsupported RR and left a segment with a short message as a name…but this is not longer possible (and stricktly prohibited by Waze) since RR are visible (in Livemap already and in client soon)

This has turned into quite an insightful conversation hasn’t it :slight_smile:

Something I think we all share and something that draws us to waze as editors is that we’re all pretty high on the ‘perfectionist’ scale :stuck_out_tongue: The issue with perfectionism is that sometimes our perception of perfect differs with others. Not being able to qualify our editing decisions with reasoning sometimes creates difficult situations. The forums and wiki give us somewhat of a foundation, but I think that a message or comments box would be the perfect solution. Being able to validate your edits with a ‘why’ would be a real game changer!

In the meantime, I might compose an email to the RMS… either that or photocopy and No Right Turn sign to hang somewhere :stuck_out_tongue:

Might have a little idea: make use of the livemap and set an UR to leave a proper message…until this new message box does the trick it might at least provide info to those having the UR layer active… :wink:

I’m not a perfectionist!

PS. You forgot to punctuate the end of your first sentence.

:slight_smile:

Sure we all have a perfectionist touch - otherwise we would take that thing (Waze) as it is and would not try to improve it and fix the “bugs” in the map… :lol:

OK, I dropped a UR there, you might have a look. For anyone not knowing this right now, you can create an UR not only from the client but also anywhere you want without driving there via the livemap. When you click anywhere and ues the red link “report a problem” just above the “Set as Destination” button…

I told you the would be another UR there soon :lol: :wink:
Thanks for the insightful comments.