Locked roads ... please disable this posibility

I don’t know why this option exists but it is very annoying.
I have at least 3 corrections to make since months, but because of someone having locked one or more of the roads crossing, I can’t. This are elementary changes to crossings I take every day.
Waze isn’t useful if those people keep locking roads.

So please waze developers: remove the possibility to lock roads or at least limit the lock in time (eg. 24 hours).

In the past locking was important. In that time Waze automaticaly changed geometry and driving directions. This is still the situation with segments that are never editted. A soon a segment is editted this behavour shouldn’t be there anymore.

These days it’s less important for the normal roads, but for freeways, highways and sometimes 1-ways it is still important to protect the map against new editors that don’t know or don’t follow the rules. They can do much more damage to the map than just a crossing road :wink: This can be an accident, but also bad intentions…

Locking system will change in the future. In the meantime the locking system is getting changed to better protect the map. I expect this in a week or so…But I can’t tell you any details yet…As soon the new system is active I’ll post info on the forum how it works…

If you have problems with locked segments, you can post a request to unlock or change in this topic.

At the moment the only way you can have problems with saving is when you split a segment that is locked by a higher ranked editor. As soon you press save in that situation, you get the no permissions error popup.

Other changes to higher locked segment you simply can’t do, because they are greyed out…Or you discovered a bug…If so, let us know!

I understand that…We try to find a solution together with Waze, but this is also positive, people that normally never visit the forum are now! Hopefully they keep doing this in the future!

So question for you, are you visiting the forum on a regulary base? And the (Belgium) WIKI? Lot’s of the editor’s aren’t and start editting without knowing the ‘rules’ they have to follow… That’s one of the reasons Waze made this dicission together with the Waze Champs.

This permission system is just temporary. Waze is developing a new system, depending on road importancy. But don’t expect this will be ready in a short time…

First of all I would like to say that it is not because someone doesn’t write alot on the forum, that he isn’t visiting and reading it. Some people just read alot and don’t like to comment on every post that is written. I’m that kind of person :-).

That said, I find it annoying too that I can’t change the locked segments anymore in the area I manage.

I recently became an AM and already converted a lot of N and R-roads (and other roads as well) in my area according to the road classification rules. I think it’s not a good thing that for every locked segment you have to ask to unlock first before you can change anything. I think that is very time consuming and people will give up eventually. So I hope a new system can be worked out quickly.

I like Waze alot, and I’ve always liked working with maps, so I hope they will continue the good work. It’s only because of a few enthousiastic people that the maps can be kept as up to date as possible and it would be a shame those people would give up because of some rules that make it impossible to work with in an easy way.

Jimmy.

I agree, it’s very inconvenient.
Only solution I have, a lot of saving small changes…

Also the Belgium wiki? :wink:

Visiting the forum and wiki regulary is important, because rules changes or added sometimes…

Naming à street and setting directions isn’t rocket science indeed, but à good routing is…

In Belgium you guys don’t have much problems with locked segments. The only editors with à higher rank than level 4 (2) are sevillan, petervdveen, fvwazing, robin1979, and I. Edits of fvwazing are from long time ago and are not according the rules we are using now…I think as soon he’s done with his to do list, he will change it correct.

I also locked à few parts of N-roads, before the rules. Connected roads should have correct tr’s most of the time. All edit’s after de basis rules should be correct. Offcourse there will be certain situations that are incorrect. As soon all citynames are in the database, we will start with the major n-roads.

What we are asking waze to do, but that isn’t à promisse, is to unlock all segments that aren’t freeway and major or minor highway. And we like to see segments that are locked with a 1-way or unknown directivity, get a level 4 (2) lock, so AM’s can change those.

In à few days the AM request process is also changing. I’ll try to inform you all about that in new topic later today or tomorrow…

this is always the best!

You do! And that’s a really good thing, but I think that about 60% of the people editing the map don’t know the rules.
I just saw how the map is in Oostende right now.
Allot of roads I edited correctly in 2010 where gone or changed in a really bad way some weeks of months ago.
In this perspective I’m really happy with the new rights management.

For you I can understand It’s not a nice thing, but I hope you can understand that there should be done something to stop these kind of editors who ruin the map.

And if you need anything unlocked you can visit this topic:
http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=17171

I corrected these TR’s for both locations. But if you look in this area, use <shift><a> to see al restricted turns, you can see nobody did something about that over there…And all these nodes has to be configuered manually, they are now still in automatic mode.

About why in English, the topic starter started in English, so I thinks we should respect that. Maybe he’s French speaking and not Dutch?! Sure you can you open new topics in Dutch. But for certain topics, like the UR request, FTW, and announcements we would like to keep it in English, so most French speaking persons, also can follow it, react or help. At the moment there are no French speaking CM’s.

So that’s why :wink:

BTW, it’s about time the Belgium wiki link gets into the ‘countries’ list on the main wiki page. It’s not obvious to newcomers that they can find it in the ‘country and language’ link; it doesn’t stand out enough imho. It’s easy for newcomers to assume immediately that if it’s not in the countries list, there is no specific page on it. Either the list should be updated, or remove it entirely. Do some of the senior members have the power to make this happen?

That’s not the actualy wiki, it’s the Waze website where wiki is in integrated. I asked support to add it on that page…but this will take some time I expect. There’s some more delay then normally…

Ok all missing country wiki pages are added to the countries list on waze page as requested…So no excuses anymore someone didn’t read the wiki!!! :wink:

Maybe slightly out of topic, but I’d just like to say that the “locking” system in place currently is very likely to refrain newcomers. I have 2 colleagues which are trying Waze since a few weeks now and they wanted to contribute by editing streets around their place but unfortunately they were not able to edit it because they were locked. So they gave up (only for now, I hope).

I can ask them where it was exactly and post it on this forum but this is just 1 example out of thousands. On 100 wazers, I can imagine there are 90 wazers which don’t have a forum account and 9 which do not know the existence of this UR topic.

Sorry, I posted in the UR topic, but should have posted here (if a mod can move my post, feel free). I also encountered newcomers having difficulties to edit waze.

The fact newcomers for map editing don’t know the rules is indeed a problem and I follow your point but on the other hand the way to get more privileges in waze is not by reading the rules on the wiki but by driving. It’s not because you drive a lot that you know the wiki rules…

Maybe there should be some kind of exam to earn more privileges. I was thinking of questionnaires : to get from rank 1 to 2, you should answer correctly to questions about the map editing videos; from 2 to 3, you should answer to questions about rules in waze editor; from rank 3 to 4, you should answer to questions about the rules in your country, etc…

Well, sort of it is right now. Requesting an an area. Area managers get a coach assigned to support an check this person.

To start they only get a small area, this can grow depending on their experience.

And, for possible new editors, there is more then enough to edit! Only roundabouts, minor, major, ramps and freeways aren’t unlocked.

Since the massive unlock, only complex situations and some 1-ways are locked by us. 1-ways because they still can change to a 2 way automatically. Waze stated this can’t, but more Champs experienced this behavior. Locking still prevents them to change. For those a simple level 2 lock is enough, but we can’t. And current L2’s will be L3 sometime :wink:

To complete, starting to edit the map without any knowledge isn’t a good idea at all. In Italy they blocked all editing right for editors that aren’t an AM. It causes to much problems. Really.