Massachusetts State Route Naming Convention

I wanted to get a standard naming convention consensus established and documented to guide future renaming efforts.

I see that several routes are titled “State Hwy #” on the map. MassDOT refers to all of the state routes as “State Route #”, and commonly refers to them in the shortened form “Rt #”. I tend to prefer a shorter naming convention of “SR-#”, and it is what I would recommend.

Any thoughts, or would making “SR-#” the state-wide convention be acceptable?

There already is a convention in place.

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_Editing_-_select_map_editor?title=Road_naming_by_state

We are (still) holding out for the state-specific highway designation “MA-##” to be implemented. This effort was put on hold a while back (several months ago), when road-shield management was said to be forthcoming.

Until this is settled and actually implemented, it makes no sense to undertake any manual mass-renaming effort. It is important for routing that any one road be named consistently, but please refrain from changing whatever standard is already in use on any given highway. (If a highway is already inconsistently labeled, and will represent a sizable effort to restore consistency in any case, I suggest using the MA-## designation.)

P.S. For whatever reason, “State Hwy” is what was used throughout the basemap.

P.P.S. Thank you for posting the road naming page. I was unaware that it existed, and have updated it accordingly.

I have seen that page (edit: referring to the state naming convention wiki page), but seeing many listed without any reference to consensus and little to no information on the wiki regarding Massachusetts nor any of the discussion leading to accepting that convention made me wary of accepting it at face value. Hence the topic to either lend support to the convention on the wiki or change it, either way updating the wiki with a reference to this topic so that others beginning to edit can have documentation to know that it’s been agreed to.

I think that TTS pronounces that as “mah”.

What if we made the standard “Route XX”? That is the way people refer to state routes in Mass, correct?

It spells it out: “MA-128 N” becomes “emm ay one twenty-eight north”. My hope is that Waze will add a TTS pattern that transforms that into simply “roooot one twenty-eight north”.

Also how people here refer to US highways. (Seriously, I didn’t even know why the shields for Route 1 and Route 2 were different, until I started editing for Waze and saw that it was “US Hwy 1” but “State Hwy 2”. And this is coming from a lifetime member of the National Motorists Association who has been driving here for mumble years.)

“Rte” is an option that I considered early on, and decided against because I think it goes too far in the “every state for itself” direction. A certain amount of uniformity is a Good Thing™, and I think an “AA-##” nomenclature that distinguishes between state and US highways throughout the nation, while allowing the “AA” part and its TTS rendering to be localized from state to state, strikes a fair (and versatile) compromise.

If Waze has stated its intention to modify TTS in that way, then I’m ok with that proposal. But if we’re just hoping that someday Waze will do that, then I suggest we create a naming standard that works today.

I am not clear about the status of state road shields.

The wiki implies that state shields are working:

Link here: https://www.waze.com/wiki/Road_Naming_(USA)#State_Highways

The wiki also states:

Link here: https://www.waze.com/wiki/Road_naming_by_state

Drove five Massachusetts numbered routes and passed another today and none of them have shields in the Waze app.
(1A, 27, 109, 115, 126, 140)

So my questions are:

Are road shields a future someday feature like Waze using it’s internal house numbering database in directions?

Is there anything that can be done to make these roads display shields in the app today?

Is the state road shield not displaying unique to Massachusetts or is it an issue for all states?

Not to mention the state wiki says to call MA state routes MA-xxx which isn’t the way this says badges will be recognized from:

Just curious, do you know if those routes were marked using SR-xxx or MA-xxx

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I read through this whole thing and I’m still confused. Please let me know what is up so I can make sure the roads in my area are correct.

We are waiting for Harling to give the go signal and define the change plan. He is the local Waze champ and the only person who can contact Waze development.

Waze already recognizes “State Hwy ##” and puts the number in a circle. I wish it would look into the Alt Names but it doesn’t. I’m now in the process of fixing all of Route 6A (Cape Cod.) I don’t know how long it takes for Waze to change the name in the map tiles though.

So does Mass now have to resign the previous MA-xx convention and switch everything back to State Hwy xx to get badges to appear?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The last word from Harling was wait for a definitive answer that he was getting from Waze. Don’t change any names yet. State Hwy was the standard from the import and I would think it would cover 99% of the segments. The only use of a MA-xxx designation should be on a brand new road.

Bump …

The “Shield question” is still very much unanswered. It appears to be a way down the list of things Waze is working on.

According to the TTS experts, “MA” should say Massachusetts in the App. The other common naming practice in most states is to go with “SR-##,” for state routes.

US Highways should always be “US-###.”

I talked to GizmoGuy411 last night. “MA” is not recognized in TTS as a road name, and it says “ma,” as in mother.

The national standard seems to be leaning toward “SR-###” and I think that’s what we should be using here as well.

Thoughts, questions, concerns?

I’m pretty sure that MA-xxx is pronounced just fine when used on a ramp. For example, this:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-71.26054&lat=42.34164&layers=644&zoom=4&segments=71334796

is pronounced “to EYE-95 north, Massachusetts 128 north, Massachusetts 30, New Hampshire, Maine”. Is the pronunciation different when used on another kind of road segment?

Anyway, I like the MA-xxx convention but if Waze isn’t going to play ball and make this pronounced according to local customs, then I guess SR-xxx is as good as anything else. The usage of the term “Route” when referring to a state highway is so pervasive and consistent around here that anything else will be unintelligible to most drivers. At least “state route” has the word “route” in it so some people may understand. However, I think many people don’t even realize that what they call a “route” is actually a state road, so the leading “state” is still likely to confuse them.

Interesting. I’ll let him know.

Hopefully not. Keep an eye out for complaints, though.