[Page Update] Your Rank and Points

When comparing the Waze support guide against the wiki documentation in the Rank specific details table, there appears to be a discrepancy in the language. I’d like to open up this page for review and suggest the following two edits to better explain the rank promotion process for ranks 2 and 3.

Rank 2 - Notes:

Rank 3 - Notes:

Relevant Links:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Your_Rank_and_Points#Rank_specific_details
https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6264191?hl=en&ref_topic=6263209

I agree with this proposal. As discussed in Discord, rank 3 is an automatic promotion, so it does not require an initial request. However, in the way that we manage our regions here in the US, it is not something that is entitled to every editor with 25k edits. A lot of our important roads and places are locked at 3, so there is a standard of knowledge, skill and communication that is generally required by regional leadership for editors to be rank 3. This promotion can be delayed by regional coordinators until such a standard is demonstrated. We need to have accurate language that conveys this fact.

Yes, I believe the existing language was an attempt to avoid fostering any perception of entitlement on the part of R2 editors approaching the 25k point threshold. Perceptions of entitlement have led to several instances of hard feelings when it had to be pointed out that quality was as much a criterion as quantity. I agree that contradictory language doesn’t help anyone, but I hope whatever replaces it can be worded carefully to avoid conveying any sense of a guarantee or right.

I think R2 and R3 should be the same wording (except the quantity) when referencing the automatic promotion.

Not every editor who reaches 3k edits will automatically promote to rank 2 depending on rank locking by RCs

Thank you for your feedback. In hopes of achieving better words with regard to non-entitlement of rank: I’ve underlined changes to my previous suggestion that follows the recommendations made.

Perhaps additional wording can be added such as: “…subject to RC review and approval based on the quality of edits.”

Rank 2 - Notes:

Rank 3 - Notes:

I like those changes

How about something like this?

Maybe too detailed/transparent…I don’t know.

I was originally thinking something along those lines. I am thinking is a little too detailed but would love to hear other opinions on it.

Are you meaning that in the US it is not an automatic promotion? I know for me it wasn’t automatic, it took some additional work during my mentoring before I got promoted to 3

Technically it is an automatic promotion from R1 to R2 and R2 to R3 but at the request of an (A)RC, an editor can be rank locked to prevent the automatic promotion so that continued mentoring can happen. If the rank lock is not requested, the promotion will happen at/about 25k. Of course, since the (A)RC can request the rank lock, they also have the ability to request early promotion if they feel it is warranted or just let the automatic process play out.

So yes, it is automatic, but no it is not automatic. :smiley:

I think the transparency is good. However, I don’t think the language belongs in the table. In the table, we could reference the section above which seems more geared towards explaining the requirements of each rank in more detail. After updating both sections, here is what I have… thoughts?

Promotion Section:

Rank 2 - Notes:

Rank 3 - Notes:

Well said! Thanks for the good info as always :slight_smile:

I took a few thanks and no dissension as the green light to make changes. They are published as described above.