Redlight camera alerts

Hi, I an new to Waze. I notice all red-light camera locations in the areas I drive have the camera and a red X icon.

I have determined this means Waze system thinks they are not working. But how can that be correct? There are 4 or 5 that I drive through and I can not believe they all don’t work.

Hi and welcome.

It sounds like what you are seeing is “dummy cameras”, which we use in a variety of situations, particularly former speed/red-light cameras that have been decommissioned but the camera pole and cover are still there. There’s more information in our wiki at Cameras

If you provide the location (e.g. latitude/longitude coordinates, or the map permalink if you’re looking inside the Waze Map Editor) then one of the local WA editors can provide a more specific response.

Regards

Tim

Hello!

The published list of WA cameras is Find red-light and speed camera locations and view traffic infringement images/video | Western Australian Government

There are a lot of the “old” cameras still about- they are actually just the housings (the cameras themselves used to be rotated through the locations, are there were more housings than cameras). The sites listed above are the newer type of camera, not a square box on a short pole, they now are more rounder on a longer pole, with multiple flash and detectors on other poles at times.

Many of the older sites still have a camera warning sign on approach, so the dummy camera icon has been used to reduce the complaints of missing cameras. Also the ANPR cameras (smaller white cameras bolted to existing poles) are often mistaken for speed cameras so sometimes a dummy camera icon is placed there.

Happy if you told me which intersections you are concerned about - but if they are not on the linked list it is likely that it is an older type camera housing, and they are not active.

Thanks Justin. Is very enlightening. I am enjoying using Waze

Ivan