Update to Major Roads section of the Virginia Wiki

I’d like to propose some changes to the Major Roads section of our wiki page. I’ve made a sample of my proposed changes here in my personal wiki space. Request all review and provide constructive criticism / debate on the changes and or suggestions for other changes.

Summary of changes so far:
Added info for F-### and T-### roads.
Added guidelines for dirt roads & private roads.
Added guidance for FC of State Routes serving Institutions.
…etc (in case I missed something)

Hey Kevin,

I realize you linked the Road Types WiKi under your explanation of Private Roads, but I kinda think you should add the one explanation from that link:

" Private roads are useful for the following situations:
Gated communities with controlled access
Schools and Universities (gates / guard)
Businesses with controlled access (gates / guard)"

Just so people get it even if they don’t click the link.

Just my humble opinion. Other than that, it looks pretty good to me.

Dom

Include the Virgina DOT Road index list reference: http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/route-index-07012003.pdf

Add: US highways are mapped as MH despite their FC on the VDOT map.

Specify “785 (future I-785) from 58/360 to NC border near Danville” or not list it because it is mapped as a freeway (nor do I see it on the VA map).
(We don’t want people mapping other 785 roads such as Albremarle couties Prittchet Ln being mapped as mH)

Specify “895 (Pocahontas Parkway Toll) from I-95 to I-295”, or not list it because it is mapped as a freeway.

List SR-217 with the SR-3xx exceptions for mH

I have compared VDOT Route Index list from the VA wiki to Wikipedia list. The only number that may be missing from the don’t promote list is SR-380 “Network of roads within Elko Tract in Henrico County”.

“All secondary state routes should be set to match the VDOT FC map.”
should be listed as a separate paragraph after the mH exceptions and before the Dirt Road section.

And remove Dirt Road from the special roads section, or a reference back to the new bit

A sentence has been added reference gated communities to include military installations.

The vdot reference is listed in resources on the main page

A caveat has been added to the beginning to exclude Interstates and US-Highways

Using that information, I would like to propose the removal of 785 from the list of “primary state highways” as it is a unsigned temporary designation.

The FC exception should be covered in the caveat stating FC classification can bump the Waze road type

SR-217 is on the list referenced as part of the state institutions

In reference to SR-380, we are sticking to what has been discussed and approved previously

The secondary road section has been separated to a paragraph with the state institutions as part of the “match VDOT FC” paragraph

The dirt road/private road section is getting moved to the Special Roads section.

Thanks for this. I do have a few suggested changes, mostly for clarity.

Your draft:

Suggested rewrite:

Russ, those changes have been implemented.

Everyone, please let me know of any further changes.

Thank you

Looks good to me.

Can the following paragraph be removed from Paces? It is a duplicate of the first sentence and eventual links to historical data wish is contradictory to current guidelines.