Updates to Virginia Mapping Resources (wiki)

I’ve been working for a few weeks to get issues in Isle of Wight County, Suffolk, and western Hampton Roads fixed, and have been making good use of the VDOT Functional Classification maps that were originally linked by Cdombroski last year. After a few weeks, I’ve been able to get a pretty consistent feel for how the VDOT functional classifications line up with the Waze road types as clarified on the Road Types (USA) page.

Since the original table translating between the two was fairly basic, I’ve made edits to flesh the recommended classifications table out, so that we may be able to use it to get as much statewide consistency as possible with the official USA recommendations.

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php?title=Virginia_mapping_resources

If you are familiar with the VDOT classifications or have used the Functional Classification Maps in your area, please take a look, and see if these classifications also line up well with what you’ve seen in your region. There are a lot of differences in interpretation between rural and urban areas, and that’s part of what I tried to address. Corrections and improvements welcomed and encouraged.

Thanks!

If you like to edit the wiki . . .
http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=569&t=63123

Certainly, I wouldn’t mind helping out on that. I’ve done more map editing than wiki work over the years (OSM and a few others), but the state pages are probably a good place to work with, since there are fewer of us directly using them. I use this as my dose of sanity on lunch break, so I should be able to chip away at a bit each day until they hopefully resemble something useful. :slight_smile:

I’m happy to contribute my links to GIS resources that I regularly use:

Prince William Co:
http://gisweb.pwcgov.org/webapps/CountyMapper/

Fairfax Co:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/gis/DMV/Default.aspx

Arlington Co:
http://gis.arlingtonva.us/gallery/map.html?webmap=6c2b7fabf5ab450d8d2abf680920a6ab

Stafford Co:
http://www.staffordcountygis.org/geoprime.html#

Spotsylvania Co:
http://mapserver.spotsylvania.va.us/geobladeweb/default.aspx?config=Demo2

City of Fairfax:
http://cofgis.fairfaxva.gov/fairfax/

City of Alexandria:
http://gis.alexandriava.gov/parcelviewernet/viewer.htm

City of Manassas:
http://cityofmanassas.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=7b79296c1aed4921a5fa0d7c258bdaab

Mike, added to the page - thanks!

I’ll be glad to add on links anyone else has available, as well. It’s quite quick, particularly when they’re laid out clearly as in Mike’s post.

I’ve done a bit of initial work on the Virginia page, enough to get it off the ground. What I don’t have is a lot of information on the Virginia AM’s, particularly outside my little corner of southeast Virginia. I’ve begun the table, but I need the AM’s active in Virginia to either add themselves, or send their info to me so that I can add it to the table, which I’d be glad to help with.

Thanks!