Used policy of tow paths/jaagpaden/chemins de halage?

What is the generally used roadtype for tow paths ? (jaagpaden in my case, in french ‘chemins de halage’ I hope)

Service roads ??? Majority are asphalted, so drivable… although at this time they are rarely used, private roads, or used as quiet cycle paths (so ‘pedestrian boardwalks’ ?)

so that leaves me with a few options:

  • service roads
  • private roads
  • pedestrian boardwalks
  • deleting

For conformity, which option to take?

Well, we don’t use service roads, nor pedestrian boardwalks, so that leaves the option of private roads or normal street, or deleting.

If you can drive them with a car, they should be mapped.
Basics:
They are streets, unless the access is restricted (for certain types of vehicles, local traffic, certain groups of drivers,…) , then it should be private :-).

Access is restricted, although local traffic is often allowed (not wanted, because of many cyclists :wink: but local farmers can reach their land this way sometimes) - they are drivable… I can imagine they can be used for emergencies and disasters near the canals…

I’ve seen them as ‘walking trails’, ‘pedestrian’, ‘service roads’, ‘private roads’, … I’ve been getting confused :oops: :mrgreen:

streetview link please?

Streetview heb ik niet direct voor je klaar, maar enkele permalinks over verschillende situaties zoals ik ze de afgelopen maanden ben tegenkomen kan ik je direct wel spuien:

https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=5.13679&lat=51.10871&zoom=7&layers=BFTTFTTTTFTTFTTTTTTTTTTFT

https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=4.84639&lat=51.16395&zoom=6&layers=BFTTFTTTTFTTFTTTTTTTTTTFT

https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=4.64305&lat=51.19589&zoom=6&layers=BFTTFTTTTFTTFTTTTTTTTTTFT&segments=167209967

https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=4.81046&lat=50.98706&zoom=7&layers=BFTTFTTTTFTTFTTTTTTTTTTFT

https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=4.59299&lat=50.95558&zoom=6&layers=BFTFFTTTTFTTFTTTTTTTTTTFT&segments=88288799

https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=4.43426&lat=51.05272&zoom=6&layers=BFTFFTTTTFTTFTTTTTTTTTTFT&segments=88539462

https://world.waze.com/editor/?lon=4.90146&lat=51.18623&zoom=5&layers=BFTFFTTTTFTTFTTTTTTTTTTFT&segments=88554326

basically, you can find them near canals - old restants from the time that boats were still towed (not as long ago as you would think) - well maintained, beautifully paved, often pretty small for trafic, excellent to bike traffic-free next to the water (dan moet je alleen nog wegduiken voor sommige wielertoeristen :roll: …en muggen), but under strict conditions ‘drivable’ (waterbeheer, civiele bescherming, do I know…)

Like here, simply make them private.

I can’t read the text under the roadsign. But it lookslike there are exceptions who are allowed to drive there. By adding the segments as privat, you will only routed on them as your destination is on this segment, in the private road ‘zone’ behind it or if it is the only possible route to come to your ‘normal’ destination.

Check the WIKI Steven :geek: :mrgreen:

We don’t use pedestrian boardwalks, since we don’t map ‘wandelpaden’, ‘fietspaden’ or ‘T-wegen’, they are all not accessible by cars…
It’s described in the wiki, but isn’t that ‘the rule’, with some possible exceptions?!
Or what did i say wrong?! :slight_smile:

Steven, you teached me delete my ‘pedestrians’… and yes, I was adding too much info :wink:

at this moment I’m still using pedestrians, because I feel sometimes the info of a road that is not drivable can aid me in orientating where I am, where to find a parkingspot, and how to reach a shop faster on foot after I left my car (handy while searching parking spot) - for instance: Herentals has some shortcuts from parking lots to centrum where cars aren’t allowed, but extremely handy to know :slight_smile:
…or I use a small segment ‘pedestrian’, where they added traffic poles… just to warn the next editor that it is NOT a disconnection due to roadworks, but a known and remaining disconnection - it shows a small not-drivable route in the App, not used for routering, but like I said, still could be handy when ones chooses a parking spot - and after all, the street is still there, extremely visible as street,… but the pedestrian doesn’t allow routering UPON the poles :idea:

but ‘jaagpaden’ sounded to me like ‘pedestrians’… although I feel like ‘private roads’ too now :lol:

Service roads are still not used (according to wiki), but my links show a few that are in use :twisted:

Sometimes it is not a bad idea to map pedestrian boardwalk. Maybe lock them to lvl 2. This will prevent lvl 1 editors to map them as a street and put to many info in them.

Good Idea:

  • towing path that is only accessible for bikes/pedestrians: a ‘fresh’ editor that comes across such a deleted road will most likely think this part is not mapped yet and will create a new road.

  • obstacles on roads that block cars but let trough pedestrians/bikes could be indicated with 10 meter of pedestrian boardwalk. If this obstacle is mapped with a junction point with TR, the junction point will get easy deleted by a ‘fresh’ editor. If this obstacle is mapped with a 10 meter gap in the road, a ‘fresh’ editor (and sometimes waze) will think there is an error and the 2 roads will be connected again.

  • …

Bad idea:

  • Pedestrian bridges across streets
  • Walking trails in parks
  • …

We don’t need every path in a park… :roll: (pedestrians)… but I wouldn’t neglect all of them, some are pretty useful and handy to know :wink:

For what I’ve read and talked about with people about this subject of tow paths…
it seems to depend:

  • ‘private roads’ - mostly used by cyclists, but also accessible for authorised personnel (most of them I think)
  • ‘streets’ - some have houses, even streetnames, and remain accessible for everyone (but carefully, they suddenly might turn into a ‘private’ one)
  • ‘pedestrians’ - only used by cyclists… not that much are like these, often accesses to private roads, and too small for authorised personnel vehicles (other routes are provided for those) - personally not convinced to map these
  • NOT ‘service roads’ - road type not used in Belgium (and might automatically be turned into streets in a coming update…?!)
  • NOT walking trails - it seems Netherland might be using different rules here??? - but Belgium is using this road type for rail roads (train-metro-tram-bus)

I don’t agree. A private road is not necessary mostly used by bicycle.
It can be streets into a private domain. Like SHAPE in Maisières near Mons (the military base).
You have a lot of streets with houses and people live there.
Private road are for local user, with or without autorization to drive over.

That is not what I tried to say - I try again:

I was speaking about tow paths specifically (not in general)
-private roads : tow paths used by cyclists PLUS authorised personnel
-pedestrians: usable for tow paths only used by cyclists (and pedestrians), but not autorhised vehicles

  • streets : streets close to water, can look similar as towpaths, sometimes in adjunction with ‘private’ towpaths, possible with houses, accessible for everyone

people living in streets / tow paths, which are ‘private roads’ have autorisation to get to their houses of course - living there, and visiting someone there, is what I call ‘local trafic’, a home-adress is ‘autorisation’ - but most of the true towpaths I am speaking about don’t have people living there, but seem to be solely used by cyclist (and maybe sometimes autorised personnel like water management, civil protection, a local farmer, nature management, a skipper, …)

Ok then :wink:
because I was a little confuse with the little talk you all have before. Sounds like it was general! :?

Thanks! :smiley:

Can happen, if we accidently switch to dutch from time to time :oops: :roll: - just interrupt :smiley: :smiley: