Voice instruction oddities / random words

Would everyone keep an eye out for URs that state the Kate (English) or any voice for that matter is babbling odd things at users. I’ve seen several reports over the past 8 days and have highlighted this to UK Admins. The more examples we get the better this can be understood / investigated.

Warwick UR

Water Orton UR

I am not having problems with odd words but since the last update on 29/06 I cannot find an English voice! When I search by voice and select English (Great Britain) I only have the option of 4 English (US) voices? Where has th English (UK) female voice gone?. It’s not th end f the world but is rather irritating!

Hi Chris

I experienced this again a couple of times last night. I did drop a report where it happened the first time but it looks like drives/reports are being delayed at the moment.

It’s a bit difficult to catch the actual text being spoken but I think it’s this (or something very similar)

It looks like this might be some sort of command for TTS that either Google TTS/Waze is incorrectly interpreting and instead of doing a pause, it’s saying the command out loud.

I have this happen a few times now, and for me it only seems to occur when I have voice directions relating to major A Roads.

Looks like this isn’t the first time this has happened either…https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224100

Hope that’s helpful :slight_smile:

Steve

Hi there, although this is a little off topic…

The voice options can be found under Settings > Voice directions. UK voices are listed 22nd to 26th in those available (at the time of writing).

A30A

Don’t think this one has been mentioned, but the A38 in Somerset is mentioned as the A30A - it seems to be when there is a roundabout involved. So at the roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A30A. Elsewhere it correctly says A38.

Street and Saint.

Not related to the google issue, but thought I’d mention this anyway. This one has been going on for ages. Perhaps these are things we can discuss at the upcoming forum.

When arriving at a road call St. Something Street, the voice directions are fine until you get the arrival notification, whereby it incorrectly reads/says St. as Street and says 'You are now arriving at Street Something Street" instead of Saint Something St

Many thanks for the reply, all sorted! Apologies for being a little off topic. Interesting to see the English voice options don’t follow the English US option though. Would have thought this would have been the logical place for this.

Thomas is still pronouncing “roundabout” as “round - a - bout” at some roundabouts

I’ll try to upload a recording i made of him “doing it”…

I just heard a similar problem this morning - heading off the M4 at J8/9, the instruction for exiting onto “J8, J9 to A404(M), A308(M)” had a definite extra syllable added to the end of the 308 bit just before the (M), causing it to sound either like “ay three oh eighty” or “ay three oh eightay”. Once I’d exited the motorway and Waze started to then give me the “take the third exit onto the A308” instruction, this extra syllable disappeared.

It should work but there’s so much punctuation in here that who knows how/if that’s affects the translation. For me, that’s too much of a mouthful anyway, and it’s not really ‘junction eight junction nine’.

The guidelines is “Ramp names to be short, useful and unambiguous”
I would be tempted to shorten to just “J8,9” and leave the road number to the next instruction at the roundabout, of possibly “J8,9 to A404(M)” because that’s the one at the top of the signs.
Note it needs a comma as “J8/9” will be read as “junction eight ninths” :?

The A38 is getting worse!

It is now either A-thirty-a or now A-thirty-ath

Sometimes it is A38, but that is the exception rather than the rule

Here we go, I totally forgot about this - excuse the radio in the background, I was listening to a World Cup game whilst driving home…

Thomas says round-a-bout