Hi Folks - I had a look round but can’t seem to find any conventions on mini roundabouts, do we just mark them up as normal junctions or roundabouts?
I could be wrong, but I set them as a roundabout, but make sure they are really really small (I guess about 5?) ![]()
Yep, my thought too, that way the navigator will tell you wich exit to take too.
Mini Roundabouts are bigger than you think, some are simply ‘mini’ so large vehicles can more easily cope with the roundabout. 5 would be a good, average, number to go with (remember it’s the radius your entering) so you’d end up with a 10m diameter roundabout.
Remember to change the type of road that gets created and name it too ![]()
I really don’t think roundabout roads should be named, they look really ugly on the map!
There’s no need to as the router will simply use the next named road as the next instruction.
If the roundabout has a specific name (other than “… Rd” or “… St”) then I create a landmark inside the roundabout and name that but obviously that won’t be feasible for mini-roundabouts!
Ugly or not on the map - what if you want to report something in the roundabout?
hx
Well the routing server, which I think is the primary issue, won’t care in the slightest.
Have to admit I don’t know about the report itself though, I’ll give it a try next time I’m out!
Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
I agree, if you don’t name them then routing works properly and Waze tells you the name or number of the road you should be turning onto.
Let’s say you name a roundabout that is the junction for Road A and Road B, what do you name it?
If you’re travelling on Road A and need to stay on it Waze will list the next road as Road A and likewise if you are turning onto Road B. If you name the roundabout anything (Such as Road A/B or Bob’s Roundabout) then it wont tell you this …
Personally, I mark roundabouts as being part of the highest ranked road they intersect. I.e. if minor highway and primary street cross then the r’bout becomes minor highway. Capiche? I also don’t routinely name r’bout either, as has been previously stated by esteemed colleagues it looks poor and the routing server doesn’t care. Marking them as landmarks works for me too, freshly at motorway junction. On the odd occasion that I have named the r’bout road it is because its a huge one and even then I only use the roads number. I.e. A585.
Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
I too set the road type for roundabouts to the most important road type that intersects, with one exception. If there are roundabouts that have ramps to motorways then it would only be classified as a major/minor highway as in the example below:
https://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=5&lat=52.76027&lon=-1.27418&layers=BTFTFFFFTFFFTTTTFFTTTT
I’ve been discussing updating the Wiki with the Waze support team and they will shortly be creating some polls for me regarding this issue. Does anyone have any preference for items to vote on that haven’t already been mentioned in this thread?