Roundabout Naming Convention

Hi Wazers,

What is the general convention when it comes to naming roundabouts?

As I edit the roundabout sections, I wonder what’s the best way to name these road sections; so far I’ve labelled a couple where the roundabout location gives a name; e.g “Park Gates Roundabout”

On smaller roundabouts, mini roundabouts and bullseye roundabouts I’m considering naming the section that leave a road junction the same as the road that enters it (hope that makes sense) or else just naming all roundabout road sections as “roundabout”; not sure if that would cause problems though.

So, in a roundabout way :smiley: , how do you label yours?

I normally don’t label it at all, unless it has a specific name like the Hogarth Roundabout in London, or the “Magic Roundabout” (which was really fun to map!)

Surely the road sections need to be named though? Otherwise it just stays as a red, unmarked and unconnected road?

You can connect and classify roads (and roundabouts) without naming them. Like zzyzxuk, I only name roundabouts if their names are explicity stated on signs on the approach.

I’ve just had a “light bulb switched on” moment :idea:

It never occurred to me that I could edit a road without entering a name. :lol:

I’ve tended to name roundabouts the same as the major routes leading into them (if they only have one), though am not entirely sure this is the “right” thing to do.

I leave mine un-named and typically promote the road type to the most senior level of all the roads connecting with the roundabout.

Thats what I’ve been doing.

I started naming them with the roundabout name or with the name of the senior road connecting. This made for ugly roundabouts being displayed on the client as it tried to cram in the road names.