[Question] Repeated camera placement

Hi,

So in my editing area there is one user (not an editor) that repeatedly places a camera in the same spot at least once a week I have checked online and I’m about to ring the local road saftey unit for confirmation as I cant find a record for it anywhere.

My dilemma is that the user that is reporting it is not a member of the forums so I cant message them to ask about it as its not part of my normal route and I cant get out there to often.

Kind Regards
Smish

Edit: Rang the local council and traffic saftey unit and they said its a mobile vehicle activated camera that will be moving soon. So my new dilemma is do I approve the camera for now and then try and find out when its moving and remove it then or just remove the UR?

Edit 2: just got a call back from the thames valley police and as they would be the ones controlling said camera and they said there isnt and never has been one there and is most likely a user placing the camera when they get home.

Removing the camera but I fully expect I will have to delete it again in a few days time.

We don’t map mobile speed cameras. Have a read of the Wiki page on cameras:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/United_Kingdom/Speed_Cameras

If the user in question genuinely isn’t an editor and is just reporting the camera from within the app, such that it keeps appearing in WME as an unverified (brown) camera icon, then it won’t show up within the app to any users as a live camera. There are god only knows how many such cameras appearing all over the map every day, and deleting them or learning to ignore them is just part and parcel of being a map editor.

If however they are just enough of an editor such that they’re marking the camera as valid (grey icon), then it’s somewhat more of an issue because, if the camera isn’t deleted quickly enough after having been marked as valid, it will show up in the app for other users. In such a case, if an editor is persistently generating crap data but isn’t reachable via PMs, you may want to bring their activities to the attention of the admin team.

As far as the “camera” itself is concerned, given that TVP claim no knowledge of it, but the council do seem to know about it, I suspect this means it’s either one of those speed-activated signs that chides you for exceeding the limit, or some other bit of non-enforcement-related kit the council is responsible for that someone is marking as a camera either because they mistakenly believe it to be enforcement-related, or because they think the camera reporting feature in the app is intended for reporting any and everything that looks or acts even remotely camera-like - e.g. Trafficmaster sensors, London congestion charge/LEZ cameras, IR sensors at traffic lights etc. etc. etc…

If you can provide a permalink to the current location, it’s quite likely at least one of us will be sufficiently local to either know straight away what it actually is, or at least be in a better position to pass by sooner rather than later.

Regards,
Chris

I removed the camera in question for the time being but if it pops up again I will link it here for you.