I live here and whenever someone uses Waze to find my house, it takes them to the back gate, not the front gate. The back gate is for residents only, so the guest always gets lost since the front gate is all the way around the corner on a different road. How can this be changed?
Moved to Florida forum for local assistance
hello. is this the community with one entrance near the corner of Jog and Glade Roads?
Hi Yes! I have no idea how to change this - can you help? Thanks
I will try and help.
Two questions.
First, is the name of the gated community “Santa Barbara”?
Second, is the entrance off of Saint Andrews the residents only gate?
Thank you.
Yes and Yes. The guest entrance is on Jog Rd
Thanks for the quick reply.
I can help but I want you share the limitations of what Waze can and cannot do. Waze has no way of knowing whether a vehicle contains a resident or guest. But, what I can do is add a waze point place to the resident only gate and another to the visitor gate.
Waze relies on residents to make sure guests are aware of which gates are open to them. In this case, if the residents say “search for the Santa Barbara Visitor Gate” then the guest (who is a wazer) enters that destination (i.e. “Santa Barbara Guests’ Gate”) into their waze app and navigates first to the visitor gate and second to your residence.
I have already added these two waze places to the map. They should be live soon and you can test for yourself just by opening waze and entering the above (Community Name plus either “Guests’ Gate” or “Residents’ Gate” as applicable.
Thank you.
Hi thanks for making the change, but can it just default to the main gate? When I put my address it still defaults to the resident gate. People who ilive here already know how to get to this gate.
Anyone searching for an address within the private community will be routed to the most convenient gate based on the trip origin. We can’t change the default gate. As stated previously, you will need to inform your guests to navigate to the visitor/guest gate.
Sorry I still don’t understand. If I give someone my address, and they put in Waze, what else do they need to tell Waze so that they get to the main gate?
For ex., when I typed in my address this am from the bank, it defaulted to visitor gate.
Visitors should enter “Santa Barbara - Visitor Gate” in Waze
Yes, but it won’t get them to someone’s house. Once they come through the gate they would then need to enter the house address and there isnt a place to safely stop and do this. Like I said, Waze always defaults to the visitor gate which makes every Uber, delivery person and guest get lost.
Is there someone who would be willing to talk wiht me about this? I have even polled the residetns and they agree it should be changed. Thank you!
Actually, visitors can search for the residence address at first, then “add a stop” to their drive and enter the Santa Barbara - Visitor Gate. This will direct them to the visitor gate, then navigate them to the address after they pass through.
How to add a stop: https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6262564?hl=en
I do have a couple questions for you: What are the visitor gate hours? Can visitors exit when the gate is not staffed?
As someone who’s lived in a gated community, I can say you need to be prepared to tell deliverypeople how to get to your main gate and have the time to alert security they are coming. No navigation app can do that for you but with add-a-stop Waze is doing some of the work at least.
Gated communities also need to invest in good signage at their back gate(s) explaining how to drive to the main gate.
I call it the “cost” of greater security and less traffic.
Hi Checking again about my last message. Thank you!
The visitor (main gate on Jog Road) I think is open all the time. The residence gate is closed from 12-5am so residetns cant exit or enter. It would just be so much easier if Waze defaulted to the main gate all the time. Even the residents here want this option.
Maybe, yet visitors and people coming to work here are always stopped at the visitor gate since Waze always defaults to the resident gate. There is signage but you still end up thaer and it’s a hassle to turn around. I think Waze should just be able to dfault to the other gate. I can’t undertand why the resident gate can’t just be removed from the gps system
Maybe, but it’s a hassle to explain this people esp workers who do not speak english as their first language. I tihnk your idea is fine for super techies but most are not gonna understand this
I see other requests here for gated comms in FL. Why shoudnt it be easy to change the default to the main gate?